UNC or Duke Library and period research

Status
Not open for further replies.

02blues

New User
john
Not sure if this is the right forum...
Has anyone used the UNC or Duke library system to do any period furniture and or tool research? I am trying to decide if I should build a period 8 foot treadle lathe or add modern components for kicks.Need this for the 4 post bed project.

If you have where did you go?
What text do you recommend.

Thanks.
John
02blues

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
One not quite period book is Fine Woodworking ISBN: 0-918804-43-4 Making and Modifying Machines. It has both flywheel and treadle lathes using different flywheels as well as a more modern bowl lathe. I have a copy you are more than welcome to borrow.

Jim

02blues

New User
john
Thanks for the info. I will check them both out.I didn't realize Old Salem had a research library. I need to make a trip out there and check out their lathe.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
It may be a long shot but the Broyhill family (of Broyhill Furniture) are big contributors to ASU. They may have something related to furniture in their library or online. Worth a shot -that is if you're not toooo much of a Tarheel fan what with living amongst 'em and all....:gar-La;

jasont

New User
Jason
A colleague noticed this thread and thought I should reply for the UNC Library. I'm the head of public services at the North Carolina Collection in Wilson Library (at UNC). I'm including some links to material that may be relevant to your question. The links go to catalog records for books and other material we have in the library. They do not go to digitized text. However, the material is available for you to use in the NC Collection, and if it circulates, you can request it through your local county library. Let me know if you have any questions.

A history of American furniture, by N. I. Bienenstock. [William L. Shearer, editor].

Early history of the North Carolina furniture industry, 1880-1921 / by David Nolan Thomas.

Furniture of the North Carolina Roanoke River Basin in the collection of Historic Hope Foundation / John Bivins, Jr.

Southern furniture, 1680-1830 : the Colonial Williamsburg collection / by Ronald L. Hurst and Jonathan Prown.

The furniture of coastal North Carolina, 1700-1820 / John Bivins, Jr.

North Carolina furniture, 1700-1900 : [exhibition, October 17-December 31, 1977 / edited by Robert E. Winters, Jr.].

These are just a few items that I thought may be of use in relation to your question. If they aren't exactly what you need, take a look at the online catalog (link below). You can do a keyword search and see if we have anything for your research.

http://search.lib.unc.edu/

Let us know if you have any questions.

02blues

New User
john
Hi Jason.

Welcome to the site and thanks for taking the time to help out.
I went to Davis last week and I am now the proud owner of a UNC library card! Why did it take me 8 years to get one?

I will look up these texts. Several of the texts that I did search for were not listed. Many of these however were very old texts and may be in a rare book collection someplace.

I will send you a list for your thoughts.

Thanks Jason!:icon_thum
John/02blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS