unable to post a response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
Earlier I was logged in and tried to post a response to a question. An error message stated that I did not have permission to perform that function . I don't post often but, have been able to in the past. Did I do something wrong in this effort?

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
You would really have to provide us with more information (actual error message, thread, etc.) for us to reasonably say what the specific issue was that you encountered, but if you got an error message then there was some sort of issue with your attempted post.

Just a few of the possible causes:

1) You tried to post to a thread that reached its 30-day inactivity timeout between the start and ultimate submission if your reply. In this case the thread was closed by the time you posted and will no longer accept posts unless one of us reopens the thread for you (it will now say "Closed" at the bottom of the thread view page).

2) a The author deleted their thread before you completed your reply, so there was no thread to apply the submission to by the time you posted.

3) An admin or moderator moved a misplaced thread during your composition, the result is potentially the same as #2.

4) If you logged in without checking the "Remember Me" checkbox then your login may have expired due to an inactivity timeout, around 15-20 minutes, while you were composing your reply. In this case, login with "Remember Me" checked in the future to avoid the inactivity timeout by enabling the system to automagically log you back in if you do timeout. If this happens then you were basically trying to post with unregistered guest permissions due to the inactivity timeout dropping your session -- and unregistered guests do not have posting permissions.

5) Even with "Remember Me" checked, if you kept a thread open (perhaps in another tab) for a number of hours before posting a reply then the session token that identifies your session to the server may have since timed out. You will need to reload the page so that you can reestablish a valid session with the server, but you will lose a post made to a timed out thread when you reload the page. Moral here is don't let too many hours pass between opening the thread and posting to it -- even with "Remember Me" checked.​

As you can see, there are a myriad of possible events that can trigger a submission error. Without a good deal more information this is as specific as we can be at this time but I hope the above helps you to understand some of the possible causes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS