Un-expected table saw accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
When I first started working onthe wood parts of my Model A Huckster, I had a bunch of old tools from my dad's shop. The table saw was an 9" small top unit with an external motor and stepped pulley system. It worked fine for most of the work I had started until I decided I needed a molding head and blade setup to do the tongue/groove for the inset panels. Being new to using these setups, I didn't realize the saw wouldn't have the speed to make the molding head work correctly or safely. The oak I was using had knots and all-in-all wasn't the best for doing this operation either. The first piece I ran through the saw had a knot I didn't see and because of the slow rpm of the molding head the molding head caught the knot instead of just powering through it. It threw the piece of oak backward into the joint of the thumb hold the wood and pretty much tore the joint apart. After a few colorful words and wrapping it in a towel while i cleaned up the saw, floor and other closeby areas, I went into the house and ask my wife if she was busy. When she saw the wrapped up hand she responede as she usually did...."what did you break this time?" A few stitches and a good wrapping..I was back at it the next day but used my router table for the rest of the tongue and groove stuff.

mikeacg

New User
Mike
Mike,

Thank God it wasn't worse! Thanks for sharing - a good reminder to all of us!

Good luck on your recovery!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
your wife must be related to mine!:gar-Bi sorry to hear of the incident. hope you heal fast. oh and thanks for not posting the pics! we do want to see the project though.:icon_thum

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Un-expected table saw accident

....... as opposed to an EXPECTED table saw accident? :eek:

If you're like me you were thinking to yourself just before it happened, "This might not be such a good id------" :BangHead::BangHead:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Glad it wasn't worse. Although we hate to hear about any injury.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Wow, Mike, you had a stroke of good luck. Things could always have been worse. Take good care of yourself while you heal up. :widea:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Pop Un-expected table saw accident
When I first started working on the wood parts of my Model A Huckster, I had a bunch of old tools from my dad's shop.

Uh, guys, I think he's healed up by now. Right, Pop?

jhreed

New User
james
had a similar incident with a molding head on my ras. much damage but none to me. took me two days to give the molding head away.

M

McRabbet

Moulding (or molding) head cutters are one of the most dangerous accessories for a table or radial arm saw and need to be used with great care and with all of the proper hold-downs and push fixtures. I think they are far more dangerous than a shaper because of the larger radius. Although this sounds like you are relating an old accident, it conveys all of the things you didn't take into account beforehand. It is a blessing that your were not seriously hurt. If possible, leave the moulding cutting to bigger machines or shapers fitted with the proper hold-downs.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Mike, I'm sorry that you got hurt, but I'm glad it wasn't worse. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I wish you a speedy recovery. :icon_thum

Godspeed,

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Pop glad to hear you are OK. You are luck it could have been much worse.

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
Uh, guys, I think he's healed up by now. Right, Pop?

Yeah Dennis... I took for granted most of the folks here already know about 'Ethel'. It's been complete (although my wife never thinks it will be complete) for about 2 years now. The accident happened about 5 years ago when I first started working on it. One of the first things that got replaced inthe wood shop was my Dad's old table saw. It's still around (sentimental reason I guess) but it's been replaced by a Ryobi cabinet saw set up I love.

The thing with the thumb made me smarter. AND the thumb itself...lets say I'll never be able to use it to thumb a ride. Kinda has a kink wwhere the joint was because of the way it whacked the tendons and healed crooked. Works great for holding dtuff while working on the scrollsaw...and if I ever get a muzzeloader it'll be great for cocking the hammer.....:wsmile:
I add a picture of Ethel here for the newbies once I get one to Photobucket.

Pop

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
Here's a couple pictures of Ethel before i put her away for the season.. 6 years of love's labor..thanks to my wife.

Ethel-small-6-2007.jpg

Etheltooldisplay-smallfromrear.jpg

99% of the wood is recycled oak skids and flooring.... FREE! Except for the panel inserts of oak ply.

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
Moulding (or molding) head cutters are one of the most dangerous accessories for a table or radial arm saw and need to be used with great care and with all of the proper hold-downs and push fixtures. I think they are far more dangerous than a shaper because of the larger radius. Although this sounds like you are relating an old accident, it conveys all of the things you didn't take into account beforehand. It is a blessing that your were not seriously hurt. If possible, leave the moulding cutting to bigger machines or shapers fitted with the proper hold-downs.

Wish I would have read this about...oh maybe..ah 6 years ago! I sold the molding cutter set on eBay about a month later and added a warning and my thumb story to a question from an interested buyer. He bought it anyway. Like I mentioned..I now do any molding work on my router table with much less drama. At the time I wasn't sure if I needed a router..now I wouldn't be without it. I actually have 3...1 mounted on a table I made (it's in my shop shots from a while back), 1 plunge router and 1 small trim router.

P.S. The 'thumb' can be a real pain sometime when it hits more than 1 key at a time on the PC......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS