Ultimate Tool Stand improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I'm glad you posted this.. I'm thinking about building something similar but I'm going to incorporate my Tablesaw into one end of it I might have to build one of these as well to compliment it. It looks pretty slick and great for a garage shop.

I'm glad you posted this.. I'm thinking about building something similar but I'm going to incorporate my Tablesaw into one end of it I might have to build one of these as well to compliment it. It looks pretty slick and great for a garage shop.

YEA I want to do the similar thing with my contractor saw..... take it off the base and bolt it to a cabinet like this for 2 reason at least.... One it will help my dust collection.... It will make use of wasted space..... and ok reason 3 it should make the saw more stable adding the extra wait too it...

I just want to make sure I can still spin it around in the shop so move ability is concern and also want it to be portable to be able to roll it out of the shop and up into a trailer and back into the shop... so I figure it will need two sets of wheels casters for the shop and then big wheels for the outdoors

not trying to highjack the other post thanks for posting the website it looks like a good design we can all get ideas
from

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
I am also thinking of building something close to the ultimate tool stand incorporating my table saw. I am a little bit nervous building it out of MDF, what are the thoughts of using plywood instead. I was thinking the main carcass in plywood and maybe MDF for the Top Boxes.

Greg

I am also thinking of building something close to the ultimate tool stand incorporating my table saw. I am a little bit nervous building it out of MDF, what are the thoughts of using plywood instead. I was thinking the main carcass in plywood and maybe MDF for the Top Boxes.

Greg

I am going with ply for mine... I think other people using mdf cause it is cheaper then ply... as long as the ply is straight enough to work with it is just cabinet construction making boxes

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
I like using MDF because of the weight. Plywood is much lighter and most tool stands could benefit from the extra heft, especially to combat vibration. I nearly always edge my MDF cabinets with hardwood, but I would do the same with ply. I am currently building a lathe stand and every surface will be a double lamination of MDF. I am using Liquid Nails for some of the glue-up.

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Here's a couple of pics of my workbench. It isn't the based on the "ultimate one," but came from a plans in one of the WW mags before it and similar to it. It's made of plywood and the ends are trimmed with oak. It's so dang heavy I can barely move it around the shop. We had an old kitchen island that we took out so I used it for the top. I had an old Grizzly table saw at the time I built it so it could sort of act as an outfeed table. The Grizzly is gone now. All I would have to do is change the height of the 2X6's holding the top. I use to store my planer in the right hand side but I've since built a stand for it. It was too dang heavy to move in and out. I'm going to add a couple more drawers over there now.The drawer slides are all full extension 100# capacity. The only other thing I'd do is add drawers to under the top where junk is currently sitting. It would just make a cleaner look.

Tom S.

Sorry about the first blurry pic.

Workbench3.JPG

Workbench_3_.JPG

Workbench_2_.JPG

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
Modularization

I think it would be much better if it were Modularized with a way to EASILY connect/disconnect one module to/from another.

The modules could be put together in any number of groups that one's shop dictates.

The Key would be the way to Connect them together so they would be strong and act as one Group of modules.

Layout might be Critical in construction to be sure Any Module could connect to any another module in the shop.

Personally, I dislike MDF... Maybe MDF for Tops... but ply for the rest...

Just my 2 bits. :rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS