UHMW in Durham

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Dean has posted a bunch of this for sale, and I can tell you it's a great deal! For less than I'd pay for 3 small pieces at Woodcraft, I took home four very heavy armloads of it this morning. All different widths, lengths and thickness. It's probably more than I'll use in my lifetime...though I've already got plans for a few pieces :> He graciously threw in a crate of small polycarbonate pieces - and he's got plenty more, as well as corian and the stuff they use for chemistry table tops. I think he said he's leaving town for a while tonight...so get out there today if you want some!

That huge stack of 1 3/8" MDF was very tempting...

Thanks Dean!
Chris

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
Boy, I'd be happy to pay for a $10 bundle if anyone from the Greensboro area grabs a load of UHMW or polycarbonate, both for some shop use or eventual CubScout projects...
Pony express or April - or - May Greensboro Lunch Bunch??

Thanks in advance,
Larry

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
What is UHMW used for?

It's great for jigs/fixtures, miter slot runners, etc. The face on my Uni-T-Fence is a piece of UHMW. It won't damage your saw blade if you happen to hit it. Nice smooth slippery surface.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
What is UHMW used for?
Jigs & fixtures mostly. Someone else has already mentioned that it is very slick - so it makes a good face on TS, BS and router table fences and miter slot runners. Glue doesn't stick to it. It machines reasonably well (cutting / shaping) when done carefully. It is not transparent like acrylic/lexan or particularly rigid, so for a fence, for example, it needs to be applied to a stiff surface...which can be slightly tricky due to the anti-adhesive properties mentioned above.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I stopped by Dean's place today and picked up a couple of bundles. Well worth the trip. Dean has more stuff to move out, so if you get a chance, take a ride and see what he has.

Thanks again Dean.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Anyone near Dean planning on coming to the Charlotte Woodworking show??
I'd love to get some of his stock if someone might bring it to the show.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Wow. Glad I got in before it was all gone.

You had a lot left yesterday, did someone buy you out?

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Not just one person, I had ten people here since you were here.

Good deal gone fast, everyone left happy! Sorry to those that missed out.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Boo Hoo for me, but YEAH for you for selling out. That is one thing off you has to be done list. No matter what life throws at you, the sun WILL rise in the east in the morning.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
I was able to swing by Dean's house yesterday afternoon, and picked up more UHMW, Lexan, & Acrylic than I'll be able to use in this lifetime - I'd be happy to share a few pieces w/ anyone who can use it.

Dean, thanks again - I'm glad you were able to get rid of everything! I'm very sorry to hear about the circumstances involved w/ you leaving NC, but best of luck to you & yours in Austin. Sometimes a fresh start/ outlook is the best opportunity.

Good luck, and stop by the site to say "hey" when you can.:eek:ccasion1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS