Ugly Drum Smoker

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Lives up to it's name but makes some very good BBQ. I've upgraded to a new one and don't have room for this any longer. PTT49er helped me build this a few years ago. It's got life left. $ 75 or best offer.
IMG_8321.JPG
IMG_8322.JPG
IMG_8323.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8324.JPG
    IMG_8324.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 234
  • IMG_8325.JPG
    IMG_8325.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 221

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That thing is a real mess and "ugly drum smoker" is an understatement (Pic 3). What goes on the 2 racks in pic 3, charcoal, wood coals, etc? No side door to add fresh coals? Are the spigot valves at the bottom for draining grease?

"Upgraded to a new one"

Did you get another "ugly one"?

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Pic 3 is the fire basket. you load charcoal into the basket along with a few chunks of wood. then pour a few lit coals on top of the green. it slowly burns and the ash falls out to the bottom. it'll burn 12-14 hours easily

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
no got a more professional type rig a large vertical feed cabinet smoker. UDS have a cult following and make great bbq

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Jeff, that is a commercial enterprise that has sprung up to supply parts for UDS. The original idea was to build with off the shelf parts, DIY and not commercial. Several of my friends have built them, some nicer than others but all work essentially the same.

No, I don't have one.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
yeah there is an entire cottage industry around them now. when we built ours it was getting started, but we literally used stuff we found around the garage. ptt49er scavaged some good stainless hardware for us and he welded the fire box with a welder he made out of a microwave.

this one i'm trying to find a new home is definitely one of a kind. it's a solid smoker i just opted to get a bigger rig for no better reason that i wanted to.

i'd like to see this one go to a good home more than recoup any money. so be sure that any offer will be accepted.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That deserves its own thread......I've never heard of a welder made from a microwave (and never would have thought if it myself)

That's really dangerous. Microwave transformers generate very high voltages/amps and several deaths have been reported using the DIY stuff made from a microwave or neon light transformer. There was a serious discussion here at NCWW about Lichtenburg fractal wood burning using a homemade device.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
The microwave welder was a fun project.

You rewrap one side of the transformer so that the voltage is stepped down to 30ish volts which increases it's amp output. Put two of them in series and you can stick weld some light gauge material.

It was more a proof of concept than a solid welding machine. I'll snag some pictures tonight.

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Search YouTube for "diy welder" to get an idea of what people have come up with
I did that almost immediately after my post! Again, I would never have thought a welder could be made from a microwave. Does it work both ways? Can a welder heat up some leftovers? ;)Of course, I would want it to work just like a microwave where you find that it super-heated one particular spot right after taking a bite...o_O

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
I passed this along to a guy at work. you could probably heat a hot dog pretty easy with a welder but i doubt i'd want to eat

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS