"Typing" your Stanley hand plane

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Many of you hand tool enthusiasts know that I recently came across a #2.
@Chris C helped me figure out that is it a "Frankenplane" (1. see footnote)
The neat part about this one is that there was an "S" cast into the sole. This sent me down a rabbit hole to learn more about the "S" (Sessions foundry)
"Some of Stanley’s bench planes had foundry markings on them to identify which foundry the plane was cast in, typically subcontracted by Stanley. This is indicative of the Type 7 planes manufactured from 1893-1899 which has an “S” marking – some speculate this is from the Session Foundry in Boston. On the bench planes it is found on the bed, frog and sometimes the lever cap." **

In my internet searches, I have learned that Roger K. Smith wrote what some call "THE" reference book on typing Stanley bench planes and they lovingly call it "PTAMPIA" (PATENTED TRANSITIONAL & METALLIC PLANES IN AMERICA)
This book is referenced multiple times in probably one of the best studies I have seen that I found on You Tube
I wanted to share this site with you.
That is the reason I wrote this (admittedly lengthy) post.

His channel is "Just Plane Fun" and can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXeAiudbLftiwdLB89MGSxw
MJ has posted 55+ minutes of video broken-down in "watchable" chunks of looking at al the Types.
His format allows a high-level view to help you see what you have along with some "cliff-diving" into the variations on the type 6, 6A and 9 and what he has termed the 9A Types...

One of the reasons I am touting his channel is for at least two reasons; first, he warns that the type studies MUST be take with a grain of salt and are only a guide and NOT definitive!!!
This is REALLY important, no REALLY REALLY important...
With the renaissance of hand plane use and the growing group of people who think they found a plane worth $200 (or more) in their father's or grandfather's tool box, parts are actively being swapped and it seems more and more "Frankenplanes" out in the wild!

ENJOY!

1. A "Frankenplane" is one where not all the parts are from the same Type, but are the correct size
** credit to workingbyhand.wordpress.com reference: STANLEY FOUNDRY MARKINGS ON BLOCK PLANES

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Uggghhhh....

I have in the last few weeks seen planes that are post WWII and so rusted that you can see the pitting in an out of focus photo.
The sellers are apparently world renown experts that profess these to be highly collectible, rare, and very valuable.
#4s priced at $120, #3 priced at $95, #40 priced at $185... now remember the rust?
These are not even good parts planes.
Condition is everything. Rare planes in mint condition bring those prices. Junk is junk no matter how old.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Hank and I have been discussing that very thing. I haven't seen a decent jack for less than $65 or so in the longest time. What I've been mostly seeing/buying has been parts quality stuff and beaters. And I've been paying more for that than in the recent past.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Uggghhhh....

I have in the last few weeks seen planes that are post WWII and so rusted that you can see the pitting in an out of focus photo.
The sellers are apparently world renown experts that profess these to be highly collectible, rare, and very valuable.
#4s priced at $120, #3 priced at $95, #40 priced at $185... now remember the rust?
These are not even good parts planes.
Condition is everything. Rare planes in mint condition bring those prices. Junk is junk no matter how old.
Now don't be disrespecting my sales approach! LOL

but seriously, there does seem to be a lot of them coming out of the woodwork!
And then the uneducated buyers who are willing to pay... YIKES!

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Not to hijack Hank's thread but speaking of frankenplanes... If anybody has any Ohio Tool Company parts laying around let me know. I have an 06 and 07 that I need bits for. I'll take whatever...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS