TV Cabinet (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
My MIL asked me to design a corner TV cabinet for her. Here is a rendering of the design I came up with and a couple of WIP pix. I am making the face frames and raised panels out of poplar and the cabinet will be painted white (by request) upon completion. I am currently planning to use Melamine covered ply for the carcass if I can find a source for some. All I have found so far is Melamine covered PB which I believe will be too heavy for this project. This has been an interesting project so far for me and has given me an opportunity to build a few more jigs and fences for the shaping of the panels and flutes.....not to mention a couple new power tool accessories.:lol:

Thanks for looking,
D L

(Click thumbnails for larger photo.)

dozer

Mike
That is going to look great when its finished looking forward to more pics. I would also like to know what program you used to make the drawing.

Monty

New User
Monty
Nice! Looks like you've got the hang of CAD now! Kind of fun, ain't it? ;-) Great start on your project - looking forward to more pics.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
DL,

That looks awesome and will make for a great entertainment center. Too bad this is a "P" word project :lol: but you have to satisfy the client, especially when it is a MIL.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Thanks for the comments folks. I used TurboCAD Professional v.12 to design and render the project. I recently upgraded from TurboCAD Deluxe v.10 when the professional version went on sale. You can get the deluxe version for about $89 IIRC and the upgrade runs about $300. Here is a link to the company that sells the programs.

D L

sapwood

New User
Roger
Well rendered D L! That's a big project and I'm confident the extra planning effort will pay off.

Looking forward to more progress,
Roger

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Pretty sharp looking so far DL... I'm interested in the flutted piece in the middle. I've always wondered how those are done to get them so straight and lined up. Got a jig?

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
clowman said:
Pretty sharp looking so far DL... I'm interested in the fluted piece in the middle. I've always wondered how those are done to get them so straight and lined up. Got a jig?

Clay,
Actually I designed a jig to make the stopped flutes. I had a total of 20 flutes to cut (10 in each stile) and was able to do them all with only having to move the jig twice. I am planing to shoot some pix of the jig and write up a description for submission to a couple WW mags as a shop tip.

D L

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
TV Cabinet (WIP)....from the start

Well, since some of you asked me to keep you updated on my progress I figured I would include a few construction photos that got me to the point of the first WIP photos I posted.

After I got the final nod on the design of the TV Cabinet I stated off by milling all of my rough lumber to size. (Sorry, no boring pics of this part of the operation.) I cut the flutes for the stiles using a jig I built for my shaper.

I will post more about this jig in another thread if anyone is interested.

Once the fluting was completed I turned to shaping the rails and stiles. Here are a few shots of the profile I am using and the dry fitting of the rail and stile.

RailStileProfile02_thumb.jpg

This profile will give a fair amount of glue surface when gluing the rails and stiles together.

A couple of shots of the rail and stile dry fitted. I am using Space balls to assist with maintaining panel alignment.

RailStile02_thumb.jpg

Although I knew better I made the mistake of cutting the stiles first and the cope cuts last. Needless to say I had some tear out with my cope cuts:BangHead: and ended up remaking a few of the rails but this time around I cut all of the copes in the end grain first.

Before I started to raise my panels I made a "box fence" for my shaper by following an example in The Shaper Book by Lonnie Bird. This fence is designed to totally enclose the large diameter cutters and keep your figures a safe distance from the cutter. The adjustable front fence also serves as a hold down. I have a 4" dust port at the back of the box fence and it picked up every bit of the shavings while raising six panels. The Plexiglas top provides plenty of visibility when making fence adjustments.

Here is one of the raised panels along with the profile I am using.

And both side panels glued up and in the clamps.

I also managed to get the face frame completed today.

Thanks for looking.

........to be continued.

D L

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
Re: TV Cabinet (WIP)....from the start

Nice work DL. Your jig for the flutes must have been fun coming up with. Keep us informed.

Monty

New User
Monty
Re: TV Cabinet (WIP)....from the start

That's cool! I like your flute jig. Did you just use marks on the fence to keep the start/stop uniform? Also... seeing your RP bit setup like that makes me want a shaper!!! ;-) Keep up the good work.

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Great looking project! I love that rendering. Can you add any color or grain to that?
I appreciate everyones taking the time to chronicle and photograph some of thier projects. We all have our own way of doing things, and it is very informative to see other approaches. Time is short enough as it is and it does take time to take pictures and post them so I thank you for sharing.

M

McRabbet

Great progress pics, DL. The fluting jig looks straight forward and could work on either a shaper or a router table. I have done fluting like this against my JoinTech fence -- it just take patience and care. I also like your panel raising jig that combines effective chip collection with a fence and hold-down. Looks like I'll need to make one for my shaper.

Rob

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Dutchman said:
Great looking project! I love that rendering. Can you add any color or grain to that?

Buddy,
You can add various types of wood grain and finishes to the rendering but it takes a bit of tinkering to get it to look right and I have not completely figured out that part of the program yet. I rendered it in white since that is the way my MIL wants it finished.

D L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS