turning wood supplier

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
I have looked through the lumber supplier list but see very little in the way of turning stock. Has anyone found a good turning wood supplier within reasonable driving distance of Charlotte (over night might be OK also) or that ships?
I am especially interested in larger bowl and platter-type blanks 20"-diameter plus at times but a good supplier for all turning wood would be nice!

RobD

New User
Rob
You should check out Kyle's selection (Edwards Custom Sawmill and Lumber). I drove up there once from Charlotte and it is not a bad drive at all. When I was there, he had some turning stock.

I also think Klingspor's on South usually has some, often supplied to them by Kyle if I am not mistaken.

Here is Kyle's link: http://www.Sawmillnc.com

nelsone

New User
Ed
RobD is right, you should check out Klingspore's. They are on the corner of Woodlawn and South Blvd next to TJ Maxx. I think Woodcraft also has some in Matthews.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Steve Wall in Mayodan carries a fairly large variety. They are north of Winston Salem, but if you call them, they are excellent to deal with and have great prices IMO.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
Hi Tom,

So far I've been lucky that everything I have turned has come out of my yard or a neighbor's. That woodpile sitting out back might be just the place to find some nice Spalted Maple or Red Oak.

I read an article from The Best of Woodworking magazine about all the different species you can get yourself, but not commericially available for various reasons. That's what got me started on the whole excercise of cutting my own lumber. I can attest that the type of Ash that grows wild here is great, as is the Cherry, Cedar, and other things you might find readily available.

For a specific dimension of already dried wood, I would go see Kyle.

Good luck,

David

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
I have cut a bunch of my own wood but the sizes are smaller than I need for a current project/tool test. Also, the trees that needed cutting on my property refuse to be in good condition. Plus, the wife vows to get violent if I start hacking up the good maples and oaks.
I've gotten a bunch of tips on Wall Lumber and will give them a call on Monday. Lots of people seem to like them.

Thanks!

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I have cut a bunch of my own wood but the sizes are smaller than I need for a current project/tool test. Also, the trees that needed cutting on my property refuse to be in good condition. Plus, the wife vows to get violent if I start hacking up the good maples and oaks.
I've gotten a bunch of tips on Wall Lumber and will give them a call on Monday. Lots of people seem to like them.

Thanks!

Tom--------What are you looking for in specie, and minimum size? I may be able to help you out occassionally. Not too far from you either.:icon_thum

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors