Turning Tops for Haiti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumpybear

Gary
User
Going to Haiti next week. Anybody have a picture of a small top (approx. 2" dia and 2" tall). Need an idea for patterns. Thanks! Grumpybear on the move

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Re: Turing Tops for Haiti

I'm curious to know what you'll be doing there, if you don't mind. If so, I'll understand.

Grumpybear

Gary
User

Joe, I certainly don't mind. We are going on a medical mission, but we may end up doing some dirty work on a church and orphanage building site as well. The tops are to help make connections with the kids. Kids are everywhere, many who are not connected with any adult supervision and they are hungry for attention. I thought of the tops as a way to connect with them.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

Gary, is there an opportunity for NCWW to help? We have a lot of turners and maybe we can have a collective effort to turn some for your cause in the future.

Grumpybear

Gary
User

Scott, the short answer is, absolutely! That would be a wonderful thing. My son is the team leader for this venture and there will be two more trips after we return...July 20-25. I had not thought of asking and I'm interested.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

I'm in!

Let me know what the legally acceptable dimensions are. I know it has to be large enough to not be a choke hazard.

Grumpybear

Gary
User

Mike, 1 1/2" hgt and diameter is the approx dimensions that the Waxhaw Turners use when they do demos, so I was turning a few with that in mind.

Grumpybear

Gary
User

Thanks, Mike! I don't know if I can make it to Walnut Cove before the 19th this time, but they will be used in the next two trips. Gary

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

I don't have time to do anything extra this weekend, but I will get some ready as soon as I can.

sawduster

New User
Robert

count me in :banana: ....the more notice the better for the next trip(s) :icon_thum

Grumpybear

Gary
User

Many thanks for the offers to help! I will give more advanced notice for the next trip. I was only trying to get a pattern that you guys have had experience turning for ease and effectiveness! Thanks.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bump....

Since it is too hot to do heavy work in the shop I am sure you can turn a top or two.

Grumpybear

Gary
User
6 incredible days later and I've returned. Wish I could share what I saw in the kids' eyes when we gave the tops a spin! They have nothing. Anyone who wants to turn small tops, please contact me. If I can't come to pick them up, I'll pay shipping to Charlotte. We see that small diameter (1/4") stems without knobs are best for small hands of the children. Thanks again for your offers. The next trip will be in September 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors