Turning tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanR

New User
Dan
They do not look like high speed steel (HSS) to me. My advice is wait until next Friday and see what the sales are like on sets. I have seen HSS sets at Woodcraft and Rockler at deep discounts on the day after Thanksgiving. You have a few days to go on this set at ebay in case someone with more knowledge jumps in with advice.

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Do not buy this set. You do not need two parting tools in your first 8 chisels. Probably not HSS. M2 HSS is probably available for about half this price from HF or PSI. Most sets contain tools that you may never use. Start with a 1/2" bowl gouge, 3/8" spindle gouge, 1/8" parting tool, and maybe a 1/2" or 1" round nose scraper. Learn to turn and then buy GOOD tools that fit what you want to turn. Your tool budget will ALWAYS exceed your lathe budget. Welcome to the vortex! The quality of the steel will always impress you.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Do not buy this set.

I'll second that. Because they are carbon steel rather than HSS, the sharpening heat is critical. Burning what temper there is in those chisels is very easy to do. A good razor edge on tools of that quality lasts way less than 60 seconds before it has to be renewed. They will add a level of frustration and misery to woodturning that may result in your giving up a fun and rewarding facet of woodworking. I used those darn things for 22 years and hated wood turning, doing so only if I absolutely had to.

After I got HSS tools, I put all my non-HSS tools in a 5-gal bucket and sold them to a beginner wood turner that had no tools. I told him I would sell him this bucket full for $20.00 if and only if he'd sell the bucket of them to the next new wood turner for the same price. Eight months later he informed me that he'd gotten his $20.00 back and now knew what I meant about not particularly doing him a favor by offering them to him.

When you're new, you don't know the difference. That makes you prey to thinking with your pocketbook. Even the cheap, crappy, poorly hardened, import HSS tools are better than those.

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User
I just turned my first practice piece yesterday. Went to HF and bought a cheap set for $42 to get the feel of what I liked and so forth. I have a good friend at Woodcraft (good turner) who told me that was best thing I could have done until I learn what I like. The tools I got were HSS and workk fine. Once I get a feel for which ones I use, I will buy a good set of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS