Turning Lignum-Vitae - Any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I got a nice piece of Lignum-Vitae yesterday at Klingspor. It is 3x3x18 with the grain running corner to corner. I'm planning to turn 2 carving mallets out of it probably. It is currently completely coated in wax.

This is very heavy, hard wood. Any thing special I should know or watch out for turning this wood?

- Ken.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Gary hit it right on.
The wood is probably still quite wet, check that with a moisture meter.
I've only had two pieces that were not, and they were from a friend that had them lying around for years and never got around to turning them.
Lignum is hard and dense and turns well in my experience.
As always with turning, light cuts from very sharp tools.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
The smell can be pretty powerful so good ventilation. I don't think its a bad smell, sorta like getting into an elevator with someone who took a bath in cologne or perfume. :gar-La;

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
As was said before the wood is most likely still wet. It will take awhile for a 3 x 3 piece to dry out so Id cut it slightly over sized for the turning blanks you want and seal the end grain. The smaller pieces will dry faster.
It does have a distinctive smell when turning it. I kinda like it though. Im sure breathing the dust isnt good for ya so I use a respirator.
It is a very oily wood and will buff to a nice shine with just some fine sandpaper or 0000 steel wool.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone for the words of wisdom.

Here is a picture of the raw piece, wax and all.

DSC_0361_800x532_.jpg

View image in gallery

I'll probably cut it in half and rough cut it round and depending on the moisture content re-seal the ends and let it dry a while.

Cheers - Ken.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I cut the piece in half on the old Miter Saw and checked the moisture content. It is running at about 12-13% at 3/4 inch depth and I measured 15% at 3/4 in from the just cut end. Not really very wet.

This of course assuming I calibrated the Lignomat meter correctly. It didn't have a setting for Lignum listed so I used the one for Ebony.

The end grain really looks nice in this piece.

- Ken.

Eric Laudenbacher

New User
Eric Laudenbacher
I've turned plenty of pens from lignum vitae. It is one of my favorite woods to turn and I too, like the smell. Once turned, it will get greener and darker the more light it gets.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well, I turned one of the halves into a very nice mallet for carving just in time for the carving class tomorrow. I think it came out pretty nice. The wood has a lot of character and it made a nice heavy mallet. I turned the handle a little larger than normal as I have large hands and find a larger handle easier to grip.

It certainly has some heft to it, even compared to the maple ones I've previously made.

- Ken.

Don Alexander

New User
Don
lignum is one of the heaviest and hardest woods there is but it also has a natural lubricating property to it and is used for collar bearings on very large ship drive shafts among other things

all that to say it turns like hot butter :gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS