Turning knobs for Stanley Hand Planes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Make a quick trip to The Woodworking store to pick up a PSI Pen Mandrel and 7mm Drill Bit Set,along with a Drill Press Chuck with a #2 Morse Taper. And a nice block of Rosewood turning stock. Well have almost $50 so far in a future Stanley front knob for a handplane!
Just got finished installing the PSI Pen Mandrel. And then the Drill Press Chuck on the tailstock of my Jet Mini. Without instructions and having never used these things, sometimes it's hard to figure out.
I had a hard time figuring out how to install the MT#2 Drill Chuck into the tailstock. Finally figured out that my tailstock piece that holds the little spur was seized up. A few taps and it came loose! Still not sure if I have it right.
Will play around some this evening and see if I can figure it out. I was going to use the Drill Press Chuck to drill into my rosewood stock held by my Nova Midi Chuck. Then use the Pen Mandrel to hold that piece of 2"X2" Rosewood to turn a knob for a handplane.
Now that I have the PSI Mandrel and Drill Press Chuck, maybe I should try to figure out how to turn a pen!
This stuff is complicated when trying to figure out on your own! I am sure I will have questions shortly!:rotflm:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's interesting, does a 7mm pen mandrel match with the typical bore in a plane handle???
You also you do it very easily with a spur drive center center and cone live center in the tail-stock. Drill as originally planned.

Dave:)

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Pens have always been in my mind even before I purchased the Jet Mini. I'm gonna have to find a class somewhere! The whole turning thing has me fascinated. Love the pens, bowls, hollow forms, the whole bit! Guess I'll start with a knob, even though I have become quite good at turning carving mallets and honey dippers!:rotflm:

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
If you knew the thread of the bolt in the hand plane you could have used a draw bar on the jacobs and tuned it with a lot less pieces (less chance for "wobble"
You really don't need any classes to turn a pen.
Russ Fairlfields site answers most of the Questions.
The money saved from the useless classes will buy a lot of pen making supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS