Turning Green Wood Bowls ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
For those that do that "spinny thing", how do you store your rough turned green wood bowls to let them dry slowly?

How thick do you leave the bowl?

And how long do you store them before you do the finish turning?

PChristy

New User
Phillip
The ones that I let dry I turn them down to anywhere from 3/4 - 1" then either throw them in a paper bag with the shavings or wrap the outside of it up around the rim - leaving the inside open and turn it upside sown on a wire rack - I have had one-two drying now for over a month and I just turned one two weeks ago and wrapped it - I will proably leave it for 4-5 months or when I remember it:gar-La;

JRD

New User
Jim
I'm a member of the DNA Fan Club!

I turn quite a bit of green wood and have found the DNA to work extremely well. I usually turn the piece to 1 to 3/4 inch thickness, then soak the project in DNA for two days. Next I air dry the piece until the DNA has evaporated (an hour or so), then wrap the project in several sheets of newspaper and set it aside. After two or three months (as opposed to 6 or 8 without DNA) the piece is ready to remount and turn to completion.

DNA will speed up the drying process, and I've found it will also greatly help in reducing checking. It will not keep the bowl from warping, that's why a 3/4 to 1 inch rough thickness and a final turning.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS