Turning Classes near Asheville

cv123

New User
cv123
Any suggestions on turning classes near Asheville? I tried David Ellsworth but he's booked until net year.

Thanks!

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Call Brad Packard of Packward Woodworks. His place is about an hour or so down the mountian. He (or someone there) should know who's in the teaching business there.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Check in at the Klingspor's Woodworking Shop store on Rutledge Road in Arden. They have on-site turning classes.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
@cv123
What exactly are you looking for?
Do you have a lathe and tools or do you want to "Try it out"

What do you want to make? (how turned forms or spindle work, pens? etc.)

cv123

New User
cv123
@cv123
What exactly are you looking for?
Do you have a lathe and tools or do you want to "Try it out"

What do you want to make? (how turned forms or spindle work, pens? etc.)

I have a lathe and Hunter carbide tools. I've turned a few bowls and spindle items but wat to learn traditional tools, proper techniques and hollow forms.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a lathe and Hunter carbide tools. I've turned a few bowls and spindle items but wat to learn traditional tools, proper techniques and hollow forms.
That is smart!
Carbide is great for contrary grain, segmented turning and some other cases IMHO. But (and this is only my opinion so take it for what it's worth) learning to use and sharpen high speed steel tools gives you more options and potentially better finishes without sanding...

cv123

New User
cv123
Seems like classes close are few are far between. I'll try Bob's suggestion and call Packard.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS