Turning Challenge now with Pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Ok, so it appears to be decided.:eusa_danc The first woodturning challenge will be to turn 1 bf.

Guidelines:

Turn 1 BF. Please take a before and after picture of your work. As previously stated this is a very open challenge that may include several woods, several pieces, segmented work, whatever. So long as it all starts as a total of 1 BF that is 144 Cubic Inches.

Please post all pictures back to this thread when completed.

HAVE FUN!!!!:gar-Bi

Deadline:

Will be March 31st, but don't fret if you don't make it and please still post your pictures.:thumbs_up

Last edited by a moderator:

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Re: Feb-March Turning Challenge.

Ok, since none of ya seem to want to post first I'll break the ice:

The challenge: Turn 1 BF. This HF was turned from 1BF of LVL it was cut into four squares, then glued back together by 2's, each of the 2's were shaped and hollowed, then glued together. Some final refining to the outside shape and a small maple collar added. C&C's encouraged.

1BF LVL:
119.JPG

Cut before glue up:
221.JPG

Hollowed half:
48.JPG

Gluing the halves:
57.JPG

The result: 8"x4" finished with AO and Ren wax.

picture.php

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason

Beautiful work Gary! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

So are you saying that the blank needs to be 1 BF or the finished product? :eusa_thin Might be a stupid question.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew

That is Nice Gary.

Really cool how the LVL turned out. I have made a couple of handles for lathe tools with LVL and love them. Never thought of doing what you did though.

Great Idea Thanks...

Dlrion you could Make some of these with that LVL I gave you~!

Oh and Everyone check the dumpsters where houses are built they sometimes have LVL they just throw away 2' to 4' scrap pieces.

dlrion

New User
Dan
LVL... Really:eusa_thin

You basically turned trash into treasure, very ingenious. I had seen Matt's LVL handles, but I didn't think they could be this beautiful. I am looking at this material in a new light now.

Dan

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis

Ok, since none of ya seem to want to post first I'll break the ice:

The challenge: Turn 1 BF. This HF was turned from 1BF of LVL it was cut into four squares, then glued back together by 2's, each of the 2's were shaped and hollowed, then glued together. Some final refining to the outside shape and a small maple collar added. C&C's encouraged.

The result: 8"x4" finished with AO and Ren wax.

Uh, can you translate this for the turning neophytes? I understood "The challenge: Turn 1 BF"... ;) Then I got totally lost.

Amazing work though, it's just beautiful!

Travis

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy

Beautiful work Gary! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

So are you saying that the blank needs to be 1 BF or the finished product? :eusa_thin Might be a stupid question.

We had a long discussion on that; it is the material you put on the lathe to turn. I planed a poplar board down to 3/4" and cut circles out and I cut a little piece of 1x1 cherry. Those pieces of stock were well under and I probably could have just counted the raw boards and been just under. The reason I brought it up is that if you cut a bowl blank out of a thick piece of stock, the corners you cut off would be be a significant % of the raw stock. You can do column area after cutting (after all, you can buy them that way).

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member

Uh, can you translate this for the turning neophytes? I understood "The challenge: Turn 1 BF"... ;) Then I got totally lost.

Amazing work though, it's just beautiful!

Travis

Travis it was kind of left open to interpretation, my thought was to start with 1 BF of material.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis

Travis it was kind of left open to interpretation, my thought was to start with 1 BF of material.

Sorry, I understood the challange, I didn't understand your explantion of how you made that beautiful Vase. I even looked in the lexicon to transalte the abbreviations.... Your new pictures cleared it up though. Thanks and again, great work!!

Travis

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
You done did good :icon_cheers now how long is this challange goin on/right now I'm in the middle of gettin ready to head back north for the summer and may not be able to get somthing going before then :dontknow:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Ok, hopefully I can get this in between outages. :eusa_pray

I really wanted to take part in this challenge, but all I had were chunks of greenwood cherry. So this morning, I looked up the formula for Volume of a cylinder.

V = pi(R^2)(H)

V = Volume
pi = 3.14
R = Radius
H = Height

The formula I ended up with was:

144 = pi(3^2)(5)
144 = 141.30

That's about the closest I could do and since the top was natural-edged, I didn't account for the missing parts of the cylinder.

I did some calculations based on what I had available and ended up with a piece (cylinder after I cut it on the BS) that had a radius of a little over 3"

bowl_001.jpg

bowl_002.jpg

So I got it all chucked up.
bowl_003.jpg

I spent about an hour trying to get the outside shape going and I ended up with a pretty hectic pith section. There were knots and soft voids that I could scrape out with my finger.
bowl_005.jpg

Despite that, I still turned a tenon, turned it around and chucked it up. After one too many aggressive cuts, the tenon cracked. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: So I ended up deciding to turn the pith out of it and then I cut the (now) really long tenon off with a coping saw.
bowl_009.jpg

Then I turned it back around and chucked it up again. There was a sizable crack in the rim, so that meant I would lose even more of the bowl.
bowl_007.jpg

Well, after a lot of turning, I ended up with this. I put Anchor Seal (thanks Andy!) on it and it will now have to dry for a few months before final turning. Wouldn't have shared it until then, but I wanted to have something to share for the challenge.

bowl_016.jpg

bowl_011.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Glennbear

Glenn
Cool entries!! :eusa_clap I am particularly intrigued by LVL turnings, makes me wish I had saved the cutoffs the contractor left when my shop was built. :cry_smile

erasmussen

New User
RAS
I started working on a project, but it grew and ended up a little over 1 BF

DSC029461.JPG

actually I spent all my shop time on that thing, so no time left for a 1BF project:no:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors