Turner's wrist??

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I don't know if this is the right forum but do any of the "Darksiders" here have any trouble with their wrist and thumb hurting - I don't know if I might be holding the tool wrong or I am just putting to much preasure on my thunb while cutting :icon_thum my thumb feels this big right about now and I do not have a smile on my face like he does:no:

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Phillip you are falling apart at the lathe! Sounds to me like you need to relax the grip a bit and let the hands be at rest. The idea is to guide the tool, not force it along. You'll need to keep a sharp edge (always), use the correct tool and use the tool correctly.

To answer your question ... yes, I have had strains before ... but usually because I'm not doing something right, or the tool was dull.

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Phillip having not seen your technique I am only guessing. But my guess is it is in your technique. About the only time I feel any fatigue while turning is when deep hollowing a bowl. My gouge is far from my body and I have to rely on arm strength to keep it steady. That said a long handled tool adds the leverage to make that much easier. Which hand is bothering you? If you're right handed like I am, your left hand should only be stabilizing the tool and acting as a pivot point. The right can at times apply force, but that is usually when it is away from your body.
Unless I am doing precise spindle work I use an over hand grip with my left hand. Only when doing finer work will I flip my grip and run my index finger along the tool rest and use my thumb to hold the tool down on the rest.
You're a skinny guy you might need to eat some more NC BBQ to build up your turnin' muscle and take away that thumb stress -

n1503301725_190496_4757.jpg

Dave:)

PChristy

New User
Phillip
:gar-La; Yep I believe that I am falling apart Jeremy - I believe that I am keep a good sharpe edge on my tools - I do believe that I might be holding the tool incorrectly :BangHead:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Phillip,

For those of us without a reliable "turning muscle", I find that you have to have a death grip and maneuver like you're painting the Sistine Chapel. Yes, I feel fatigue in my hands too. :gar-La; HTH.

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
From time to time I will catch myself holding the tool to tight, when that happens I stop and sharpen it :widea:
Thats my style :tinysmile_tongue_t:

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Dave, I am right handed and that is the one that hurts - I have been trying to do some fine detail work and I think that might be where it is coming from - :rotflm: gain weight - me :gar-La; with the stomach problems that I have been having over the last month or so I have lost 10 lbs. now I need to gain that back and really need to gain 10 more after that - that is not easy for me to do:no:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
How about you get someone to make some random pic while you are turning? Sometimes folks concentrate so much on the tip of the tool that they don't realize what's going on at the other end.

By having someone else take pics they may catch something that you are not aware you are doing.

I find that a good pair of gripper gloves help too.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
How about you get someone to make some random pic while you are turning? Sometimes folks concentrate so much on the tip of the tool that they don't realize what's going on at the other end.

By having someone else take pics they may catch something that you are not aware you are doing.

I find that a good pair of gripper gloves help too.

Thanks Mike - I will get LOML to take a few while I am turning - I have noticed on a few videos I have watched that the turners had a glove on and I thought about getting a baseball batters glove -

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Also so simple streaching of the hands and wrist and fingers befor and at a break points will help with this as it is sometimes an ergonimic issue. check the hight iof lathe and make some adjustment if needed also look at what you are standing on as well.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Phillip I too have problems from time to time.And it usually happens when I'm getting down to the nitty gritty.Like MikeD said I'm focused too much on the busness end of the tool.I also found when I do that I usually cause more problems than my wrist.This is something I need to work on myself.I try to step away and relax, tell myself "hey this is suposed to be fun".Then when I refocuse it is fun.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Also so simple streaching of the hands and wrist and fingers befor and at a break points will help with this as it is sometimes an ergonimic issue. check the hight iof lathe and make some adjustment if needed also look at what you are standing on as well.

I believe that I have my height right - I worked on that a few weeks ago and added 2" to the height of the lathe - I really believe that it is the way I am holding the tool - I have somethings to get straight in the shop so that I can get this big Hawk a real good friend of mine :eusa_danc let me borrow for awhile - need to get that bird flying :gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS