Turned some pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Here are the 2 most recent pens I have turned. My photography skills are much to be desired for, but these will do for now...

birdseye-maple.jpg

walnut.jpg

I turned a couple of pens out of Cocobola (Spelling). But gave one to a friend, and one to my boss for Christmas ( read that as sucking up ). Those are the best ones I have made, but these 2 aren't bad. They have a nice tight fit, and the finish is 6 coats of Medium CA glue, buffed to 12000 micromesh. Thanks for looking.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Those look really good Clay.:icon_thum You did a great job on both of them. I am sure your friend and your boss loved the other ones you gave them. I have never tried using CA glue as a finish on mine before.

D L

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Mike, CA is short for some big word like Footlocker.:lol: CA glue is actually Super Glue but if you buy it in a woodworking store you can get it in various types (read viscosity) other than the stuff you find at Wal-Mart.

D L

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
CA Glue is short for Cyanoacrylate Adhesive. It comes in thin (superglue), medium, and thick. The thin dries super fast, medium, medium fast, and thick, slow fast. All will glue your fingers together in no time flat though.....

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Clay, those are some really fine looking pens. You really have become very skilled after WG's class. I personally like the maple one the best, nice figure. Great job, Dave:)

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Clay,

Those look awesome, and there is nothing like the opportunity to suck up to your boss with a fine pen. That walnut looks familiar....hmmmm I wonder?

woodguy1975

New User
John
That is a little expensive. You guys ought to check out the IAP bulk CA buy if it is still going. I was getting CA at about half that cost.

I just checked and it looks like the CA bulk buy is off on IAP. I'll check with some other pen turners and see about sourcing some cheap CA for you guys.

Thanks,

John

Mike Davis said:
This is the place we buy CA glue, we use the medium viscosity.

http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/mainCatalog/glue.asp

How does the price compare to local shops?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS