Turned Shaving Kits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
It is about time to get started on the Xmas presents.

This year I was thinking of giving shaving kits (ie razor, brush and stand) to my son-in-laws. I have been looking around and I have am not finding much out there. They have started selling a couple of kits at Penn State...

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKRAS01.html

...but could get pretty pricey if I look at their deluxe kits ($44-$71).

I need to make at least three of these kits and was wondering if any of out turners out there may have a source that I could look at.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Wayne

rsaucedo

New User
Ras
Arizona silhouette (AS), Beartoothwoods and woodcraft all carry them. I have purchased from all three. AS is much less expensive. they buy from berea hardwoods which doesn't actually sell wood except pen blanks and other small turning stock. the guy at AS is a grumpy old guy but his prices are good and quality is good too.

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
I second giving woodturningz a call. Great people to deal with.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks all!!!

This gives me some great options and will need to check these suggestions out.

Great to have a few options!:icon_thum

Wayne

Elmojo

New User
Mike
I just turned a kit from Penn State for my Dad. It came out REALLY nice. I used the Olive wood that came with the kit.
I have about $75 in it, including shipping and a pack of blades from Wal-mart.
Not cheap, but a VERY nice set.
I also turned him a bowl for shaving soap.
I bought a bar, dropped it in the bowl, and put it in the oven on the lowest setting (185) for a while to melt the soap. It work perfectly and looks professional.
I hope you find a good supplier for your kits.
They aren't cheap gifts, but you can get less expensive versions than the one I got.

pathgore

New User
Greg
Packard Woodworks also carries badger brushes from $11 - $18, Handles & bushing for $15 combined, and a stand for $10.
Greg

Mad Dog

New User
Mad Dog
I've just received the cheapo badger hair ($5.95) and the necessary forstener bit ($6.95) from PSI. No one I know deserves the silver tip badger hair :gar-La;

Lowes Food has the round shaving soap for $1 something and it lasts forever - "Williams Mug Shaving Soap since 1840".

A stand for the brush is necessary but being a cheapskate I'm going to make one from some nice wood. I made a stand for myself from an old coat hanger - I should take a picture of it - you might get a laugh out of it - definitely not something you would give to someone as a present. Ha!

I'll make the brush for myself to try out before I order a bunch for presents - make sure the hairs don't fall out.

(I started using a brush about 6 months ago (it has been a LONG time since I last used one!) and I can recommend it over the aerosol cans. Also, if you are in the market for a razor I recommend the Gillette Sensor Excel - I love it - no more cutting myself and the blades can last a full month.)

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
While wood might look nice turned composite and plastic handle will hold up a lot better. Wood, soap and hot water are not the best mixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS