Turned another cigar pen and started a Classic American

Status
Not open for further replies.

gesiak

John
Corporate Member
I turned another cigar pen and started a Classic American in acrylic yesterday. I like how the cigar pen came out.

I havent finished the Classic yet and not sure I will be doing anymore acrylics. Just dont think paying $4+ for a plastic blank is worth the effort. I will wait until I complete it before making a decision to give up on acrylic.

Anyway I will let you know how it turns out in a future post.

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
That is another good looking pen. As far as the acrylic's go, cast your own blanks. I am slowly getting into this. I need to buy the pressure pot and all the extras but I have cast a few with out and just vibrated the heck out of them. It's a learning process. I have done a few acrylics and they have come out great but the wood IMHO just looks better no matter what.

gesiak

John
Corporate Member
Kevin, that is my thoughts. The look and feel of a wood pen, can't be beat IMHO. :eusa_thin I have not completely made up my mind yet. I will finish the one in progress and see. I may just do the acrylic if someone really wants one.

The pen in progress is the first Classic American from Woodcraft I have done. I received one as a gift a few years ago. That was a fountain, the one I am making is a ballpoint twist. I have made over 30 Euro & cigar pens and would like to add a 3rd style. I stopped the other night because I got confused by WC's instructions about parting of 1/8" from the top near the bushing, only it doesnt say which bushing, middle or nearest tailstock. So I took a break to see if I could determine which and never got back.

Then late this eveing I came up with answer to my question. Since I am using acrylic and really dont have to worry about match any grain I could part it on either end. Hopefully, in the next day or two I can get in the shop to finish it.

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
I have turned one of the classic american's as well. I love the way they look but hate how the centerband is done. You could turn your own CB. DaveO has several in his gallery if you want to look at some examples. I need to get some more of those Classic Americans and master them. As far as turning with the parting tool it should be (If I remember correctly) the Shorter blank and then end that meets up to the body of the pen. I hear ya on the turning late at night and instructions. I tried that a few weeks ago and it was confusing. :)

Since that is acrylic you will, if you haven't already, want to get some micromesh as well as some kind of plastic polish, I have been using HUT Plastic polish on mine after the MM, I have heard some guys using Car polish. They shine up very good.

gesiak

John
Corporate Member
I hope to get out and try to finish the pen today. I have micro mesh and have used it on all of the pens I made so far. I am thinking of going the car polish route, since I have some and if I decide not to do any more acrylic wont have spent money on something I would probably not use again.

I have seen DaveO's centerbands, they are nice. I think being a beginner I will stick with the kit pieces for now.

gesiak

John
Corporate Member
!@#$%^ Well the Classic turned into a mess......:5sigh: I guess working in the morning is just as bad as the evening, Yesterday when I went back to work on the pen I realized I missread the instructions and had one bushing in the wrong orientation, not to worry, the acrylic would be come segmented. A little cutting, some glueing and back on the lathe, everything is right again.

That is until I started assembly. There I missed putting the ring on before pressing the nib assembly into the bottom. :BangHead: This is where it gets really bad... I took out my disassembly tool and attempt to separate the two.... Not getting it free because I cant get enough force holding the blank in my hand, I make another not so good decision. Using some non-skid matting I put the blank in my bench vise and gave it a few whacks.... No they did not separate but now there are several deep scratches that are not repairable. :realmad:

It is at this time I conceded to the negative Karma. I wont let this beat me, I will buy another acrylica blank and kit and complete this pen, when I get back from vacation.

So can anyone give me any suggestions on how to hold the blank securely to disassemble?

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
John, that pen is BEAUTIFUL! :eek: Nice work! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I'm glad to see there is someone else out there that does crossword puzzles in ink. :rotflm: :eek:ccasion1

gesiak

John
Corporate Member
John, that pen is BEAUTIFUL! :eek: Nice work! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I'm glad to see there is someone else out there that does crossword puzzles in ink. :rotflm: :eek:ccasion1
That was just for the photo. :wink_smil I've been doing the NY Times Sunday crossword puzzles for several years now. Started when my oldest was competing in gymnastics. Lots of downtime. I do work them in pen once in awhile, but most of the time do them in pencil. I complete about two a day, but not so good as to use pen all the time.

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
I typically have been able to hold it in my hand and tap it with a hammer to get them free. I would have thought the wrapped blank on the vise would have done it. I will have to let some of the other guys here jump in since I have only taken a few a part. I am sure there are many more to come. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS