Trying to get back on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

richlife

New User
Rich
I think I've said it before, but it bears repeating. There is an old Chinese curse that goes, "May you live in interesting times!" A year ago I was thinking that I had been there done that. A year later now and I'm thinking that I sure hope all that is over for a while.

The really bad stuff happened last year and I mentioned that way back. But the interesting stuff has just kept on. Minor example: Here I was yesterday thinking, "OK, now we can try to get back to normal." So I went into my shop, flipped on my table saw and got "Click!" Followed by a few more. Took apart the switch compartment, cleared out all the sawdust (25 year old saw), and tried again. "ROAR!" Well and good. Put it back together, turned it over, flipped the power switch: "Click!"

That's when I decided enough is enough. I've recovered that saw enough times and it's old enough I just don't care anymore, so I started looking for a sale. Checked around here on NCWW, craigslist, eBay and called some friends. But the answer came from right here. Tomorrow I hope to meet a new (to me) member and pick up my "new" table saw.

(Those who know me also know that my small shop cannot a handle a big saw, so I feel fortunate to find a good option that will fit in.)

So, literally, I have not done any real work in my wood shop in two years and I am hoping to get back on board in there (there are parts of a grill cabinet floor unit cut and waiting for joinery, assembly and finish) and also with NCWW as well as with my grilling buddies. "Interesting" how a dying parent, a heart attack, triple bypass, and a wife's diagnosis with alpha-gal (meat allergy) with all its chaos can turn your world upside down. I think they call it "life". But :) I will...

Rich

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Very happy to hear you are on the mend and hope you have the allergy under control.

In 2005 I caught double pnumonia and took two courses of antibiotic that caused a severe reaction that I am still suffering. Mysterious allergic reactions can be very hard to deal with. Glad you got a handle on it.

good luck on getting the shop going again.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Rich, Glad to hear that you are getting back into woodworking. Take it slow and easy and let me know if I can help in any way.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Rich,

If it helps any, it has been more than two years since I have done any meaningful woodworking in my shop as well. Lately I have been trying to clear away the abundant cobwebs (why spiders so love my shop I will never know, all they seem to eat is each other!) and get everything lubricated and cleaned up in the hopes that I might actually finish some in-the-works projects that have been stuck for several years now. :)

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Welcome back. May your new saw turn many large pieces of wood into smaller pieces of wood.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Rich, I feel your pain and know many do as well. Life happens and how we respond, react, and endure seem to create the quality -or lack there of -of our life. I feel like in the past three years I have taken so many hits I wondered where the target was tattooed.
I was finally able to relax, take stock, regroup, prioritize, and begin participating in life again.
Actually doing something in the shop instead of cleaning, doing machine maintenance or just standing there took a while. What skills I had were rusty as can be. Frustration almost led me to throwing up my hands and having an "I'm over it" sale.
I've had to learn self patience, set attainable goals, and expect imperfections due to my limitations and lack of practice. It's coming back around.
Congratulations on the saw and good luck in your return!! Remember there are others who have been through similar times. This community is behind you~

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Welcome back Rich. I've thought about you several times over the past couple of years and wondered how you were doing. Glad to hear you're back in the game.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
It's good that you can get on with your life after all the "interesting" things that have occurred. You raised a concern that I hadn't considered before when you described how your 25 year old table saw was acting up. My table saw is 44 years old and now I worry it might be on its last legs. Only time will tell.

Roy G

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome back Rich. It's good to hear from you again. Yep, "life" has a way of doing that sometimes. Glad to hear that things have calmed down a little and you're getting back into the shop again. Most of my work in the shop as of late has be on the shop itself. Take care.

richlife

New User
Rich
Again thanks to you all for the welcome.

Andy, you raise a really good point and being "rusty" and I thank you for that. Point noted.

Roy, mine was a quite cheap saw and I think I was lucky to get "one of the good ones". Frankly, it was so "cheap" that I needed to take it apart just to put in new brushes and that's when I decided to go after the new (to me) saw that I've been thinking about for five years. My "new" saw is still in component parts, but what a difference in quality! And my thanks to EdD.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS