Trying not to pull the plug

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
To clarify my question:

If you have BL1815 batteries, any of the batteries with that for factor will work for you.

The top of your battery (if BL) should look something like this. The number of terminals might vary. This battery has overload protection (which is what the little star is for), but works just fine in an older tool without the extra terminals.
MVIMG_20200621_082730~2.jpg

The bottom of the drill would look something like this. This is a ten year old drill that predates overload protection, so just two terminals. The new batteries work perfectly.
IMG_20200621_082756~2.jpg

If this is what you've got, you can get a pair of 3.0 ah batteries on eBay for ~$60 new. They're cheap since everyone wants the new 5 and 6 ah batteries, but should give you at least twice the run time over the 1.5's and charge faster than the 5 or 6 ah versions. Just make sure the eBay listing has a picture of the actual batteries in the packaging. Lots of sketchy knock offs on eBay. Best to set "item location" to US only.

If this isn't the battery you have, sorry and ignore this post.

I vote that if the drills are working for you and you want for nothing but batteries to use them with, keep them going and keep them out of the landfill.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I HATE BATTERIES ! Back when I put together my first tv studio Ni-Cads were all there was. Those brick batteries you saw hanging off the back of cameras cost $500 each. The bricks were standard, but everything else had some kind of unique battery. Found out from the tv stations there was an outfit in Atlanta that rebuilt bricks for $105. Also my engineer came up with a reclame method using a headlight bulb. For my shop I have 2 battery drills & 2 impact drivers that's it. All the rest of my stuff is 120VAC. Also all my portable 120 tools have a power cord 6 to 8 inches long. Got tired of untangling power cords. There's a 25 ft. extension cord that lives at my bench that I use to power these tools. Works great!

Pop :cool:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I have both and frankly got tired of dragging corded tools around in my garage and winding up the extension cords. A cordless is handier for most things. My table saw, circular saw and planer have cords but the Festool track saw is cordless and that's handy.

Last edited:

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
FWIW: I have 3-4 corded drills ranging from a light weight 3/8 from the 1960s to a 1/2" small frame professional. The latest is an HF close quarters drill that I can't wait for it to die.

Additionally, the battery is a BL 1815 (I apologize for the typo in the earlier post) so 18V, 24Wh. Here is an photo of the connection side.

Unknown-6.jpeg

I read Bas' comments to Dearly Beloved and her response was, "Happy Father's Day". Still, I would like to update the old batteries.

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
FWIW: I have 3-4 corded drills ranging from a light weight 3/8 from the 1960s to a 1/2" small frame professional. The latest is an HF close quarters drill that I can't wait for it to die.

Additionally, the batter is a BL 1815 (I apologize for the typo) so 18V, 24Wh. Here is an photo of the connection side.

View attachment 194600

I read Bas' comments to Dearly Beloved and her response was, "Happy Father's Day". Still, I would like to update the old batteries.

Ok. So any Makita LXT battery will work for you.

Brian Patterson

New User
Bstrom
Newer drills are lighter, more powerful, and the battery technology is vastly superior. Why haven't you ordered the new tool already? More tools = happier. More tools = better. Tools are good. You want the tools. You need the tools. Tools are life.

Of course, you can then rebuilt the old batteries. Now you have TWO tools!
Bas is 100% correct - new tools beat the old ones hands down. I added a Bosch driver/drill set on sale to my existing ones BEFORE they die to have an upstairs/downstairs tool arrangement. More tools make you happier than tools that hate you and want to leave any day because you have used them for so long. Send them on their way!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS