Trying a feature ring

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Latest bowl, made the feature ring first, then made the other rings to support it. 8 segments per ring. Maple, walnut, finished with clear shellac & paste wax.

20220908_111841.jpg

20220908_111823.jpg

ssmith

New User
Scott
That turned out great! Have seen segmented turnings before, but never a geometric, segmented piece like this. Very creative and eye catching.

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I glued it up all at once. Afterwards, I discovered I did not have the necessary tools to get deep inside the bowl. But according to YouTuber "Make Something", I invoke rule #4, 'Everything is an experiment"!

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Each 3D box consists of 9 individual pieces of wood. 3 walnut pieces makes up the center, then maple is added to support & fill in to make a solid piece. Each of the angles are cut at 30 degrees as measured on the miter gauge.

I'll try to make a piece later to help explain.

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
That's really cool! I'm going to ask you to share your design ;-).
@Bill_L
Here are some photos showing how each "box" was created. The thickness of the 2 woods are not the same, hoping this helps show the process.

With the miter gauge set at 30 degrees, in this example, the width of the box is 1 7/16". You may need to adjust your stop block to cut the top of the box to become the same as the box width. These are pieces 1-3.

20220909_103952.jpg

Pieces 4-7 are filler blocks to fit above and below the box. The ends are also cut at 30 degrees, and cut them to a safe length, you can trim down later. Pieces 8-9 are the sides that define the edges. Thin in this example.

20220909_104140.jpg

Fully assembled, glued up, and length trimmed down.

20220909_105526.jpg

Last edited:

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks Mike. This one is finished, i may take you up on the next one. With past bowls, i would glue 3-4 rings together, let the glue dry a bit, turn the inside, then glue on a few more, repeat the process. This time i glued all of the rings at once.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
Love the feature ring Neal.
What method did you use to cut the angles on the feature ring segments?

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
@HITCH- with 8 segments per ring, each segment was cut at 22.5 degrees on each end. I set this angle using my incra miter gauge and cut on the table saw

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
@HITCH- with 8 segments per ring, each segment was cut at 22.5 degrees on each end. I set this angle using my incra miter gauge and cut on the table saw
I was watching this video today and the guy's cutting an intricate feature ring on the table saw.
Look around the 4 minute mark.
I was thinking of safer ways to cut these.
Maybe a sled and a toggle clamp to hold them down. I am sure that there are better ways than what he does in this video.
Screenshot_20220909-225600_YouTube.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS