Try this at home if you dare

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not really wood working. I have seen this done on various scroll saw forums, Facebook and YouTube. It is called coin cutting. It was actually not that hard. It is different then cutting wood in some ways. For example you use CA glue to attach the pattern. I used my Excalibur regular scroll saw with a Pike brand 2/0 jewelers blade. The coin is or was a US quarter. The design is the Chinese symbol for Courage.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I don't think I'll ever dabble in it, but you done good brother! I remember seeing a guy who cut everything with a hand held jewelers saw. He'd cut the head and the lettering and left those parts still attached. His work was really cool, and very expensive, as he was working and trying to sell in an area where there wasn't much money floating around. Glad you're over there in the big money part of the state!;):po_O

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
So cutting a QUARTER is worse then you paying $10 or more for a 3/4x3/4x5 inch block of wood to try make a pen???? That works out to about $250 per board foot. Nah. Seriously just wanted to see if I could. Looks good on à resume

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
You need to get your hands on some foreign coins. They have some great existing shapes to cut out. Canadian coins are somewhat available and have some cool animals. I haven't done any in forty years. It was fun to work with a different medium. Back then you could "deface" currency as long as you didn't try to reuse it as money. Today YMMV, but Secret Service probably has more on their hands.

cskipper

Cathy
Very cool!!!! And something I have been wanting to try. At this moment I am saw-less. The motor gave out on my Hegner and it is in the "hospital".

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very cool!!!! And something I have been wanting to try. At this moment I am saw-less. The motor gave out on my Hegner and it is in the "hospital".
I have been advised by a couple "experts" that a hegner will not work for coin cutting. The clamping system is not design to work with the tiny blades required. We are talking 2/0-6/0.

cskipper

Cathy
I have been advised by a couple "experts" that a hegner will not work for coin cutting. The clamping system is not design to work with the tiny blades required. We are talking 2/0-6/0.
They sell different size clamps and metal cutting blades 2/0 and above. I'll have to look at this more closely if my saw is restored back to health.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS