Trundle Bed- now with pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbvilla

New User
Dawn
While waiting in a doctors office, I picked up an old issue of Country Living. I saw my next project. It was a trundle bed and ropes were used to hold up the mattress. This absolutely blew me away. Has anyone built anything similiar. I found some plans online that I could modify to suit my propose. But as you know, I am a newbie... do you think my next project may be too advanced? Here is a pic of what I have in mind.

Dawn

Attachments

• bed.jpg
    bed.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Re: Trundle Bed

I have never built anything like that. But the ropes holding the mattress up is where the saying "sleep tight" came from. 'Cause if they came loose you really didn't get a very good night sleep. If you had a picture of the bed you have in mind it might be easier to picture how it is built. I feel confident that you could do it if you put your mind to it and ask questions when you get stuck.
Dave:)

dbvilla

New User
Dawn

I was just showing my hubby what I was going to build. I will try to scan the picture tomorrow and post it. I already have that tingling feeling you get when a new project comes to mind..
Dawn

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames

Dawn, from the looks of how well your table and cabinet turned out I think your fully prepared to take on a project like that. You also have a wealth of knowledge here on the site that you can turn to for advice if you run up against anything you are unsure of. Best of luck with. I look forward to seeing the photos of the design as well as some in-progress photos.

D L

Monty

New User
Monty

Should be an interesting project! Along the lines of what DaveO said, if I'm not mistaken the ropes will stretch and loosen over time, and you have to have a way to tighten them back up.

Edit to add attachment: a picture of a bed key, used to tighten the ropes:

Attachments

• bedkey.jpg
    bedkey.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:

dbvilla

New User
Dawn

Well I have spent the evening researching rope beds on the web. I found one site that suggested that nylon rope will not stretch like the traditional hemp or roping made of other materials. It also said that it would take a "little" stain as well. Also, it suggested that a diagonal webbing of the rope would not give as much as side to side, end to end webbing. The picture I found suggested that the webbing went in the latter direction. Sooooo. I'll do as I have done in the past, I'll be tossing this around in my head for awhile and then jump in neck deep.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson

If its any consilation 9 times out of 10 I don't have the skill to complete the project I start initially, but by the end of the project i have learned something new and everything nomrally turns out ok. Something may not be 100 percent right, but unless I pointed it no one would ever know the difference. I am with you I say jump and worry about the uncertanties later on. There are enough people here to help you through just about anything.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
That does look like a great project. Make sure you post some in progress photos of it Dawn.

D L

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Hey Dawn,
Looks like a good project. Here's a couple suggestions for when you get started. Make sure you have a mattress in mind for the trundle and a accurate size. Allow an inch on both ends of the mattress for tucking in bedding. Next, get an accurate measurement of the bed the trundle will go under. You will need allowance for the bed to slide under the other bed. I would would say 1/2 on each end is enough. Also, make sure you allow for your casters when you work out the height of the trundle. If you are buying them, go ahead and get them so you can accurately figure the trundle be height. Good luck, and let us know if you have questions.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Dawn,
I agree with Brandon, what you don't know now you can learn as you go along and no one will see the slight mistakes but you. Good luck on your project. Can't wait to see the final pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors