true-up a re-glued round tabletop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfish

New User
Matt Meadows
I am refinishing a friend's oak table. The glue joints were all failing in the top.

I separated the joints and cleaned them up (32nd or so) on the jointer. Reglued them all, but obviously they don't quite fit back the way they were since they are all skinnier.

I need to return this table to round, obviously. So far all I can think of is to find the center (on the underside of the table)--- use a 1/2" mdf "arm" guide screwed into the center mark to guide a router with a straight bit to go around the perimeter of the table, like a huge compass.

That's the easiest I can think of. Anyone else have any ideas?

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Matt,

Sounds like a plan to me. Does the table top have any kind of profile you will have to duplicate after getting it round?

Mike

M

McRabbet

Your router trammel-style circle cutter should work just fine, but pay close attention to any cuts that climb into the grain as you swing the arc. You may want to actually climb-cut some areas to avoid tearout. And, as Michael Shelley mentioned, if you have a profile on the table rim, you'll need to replace it.

Rob

Redfish

New User
Matt Meadows
Thanks for the reassurance on my plan (though I was hoping someone had one of those EASY buttons for me).

Fortunately there was nothing but an eased-edge for a profile, which a 120-grit hand-router will do just fine:icon_thum.

Would you use a 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4" straight router bit? Seems like the 1/4 would be a safer choice (ie, to avoid a grab-n-sling). I have a 2 1/4 hs Makita router so I am sure it can handle it.

Thanks again!

Matt

M

McRabbet

I'd use a 3/8" solid carbide spiral bit or a 1/2" straight bit with 1/2" shafts.

Rob

nelsone

New User
Ed
I would think an upcut spiral bit may work better than a straight bit. The upcut would help hold the router to the table and I think the shear cut would avoid tearout. Mind you this is speculation since I haven't had to do this myself.

Redfish

New User
Matt Meadows
I would think an upcut spiral bit may work better than a straight bit. The upcut would help hold the router to the table and I think the shear cut would avoid tearout. Mind you this is speculation since I haven't had to do this myself.

You know I think you are onto something, and I do believe we have a good upcut spiral bit. I'll have to check tomorrow, great idea. Heck, the worst that could happen is I ruin my friend's table:eusa_doh:.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wouldn't a down-cut spiral bit have more of a hold down effect than an up-cut? As long as the cut was through all the way you would still get good chip ejection.
Dave:)

Redfish

New User
Matt Meadows
Made the cut today and it turned out great

Managed to get the entire table stained and sealed. I'm interested in seeing how this finish will end up, it is a two-part polyurethane called Eurobild (you cabinetmakers probably know of it). Tough stuff and looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS