Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenger22

New User
Steve
May sound kinda silly but I don't want an expensive one, just something to haul wood back and forth from the mill to my garage, other then that it'll sit in my driveway.

Anything really works, the bigger the bed the better.

Guess it's weird to ask where to buy a truck from, but im only looking to spend about 1k - 2k dollars.

Thanks.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
May sound kinda silly but I don't want an expensive one, just something to haul wood back and forth from the mill to my garage, other then that it'll sit in my driveway.

Anything really works, the bigger the bed the better.

Guess it's weird to ask where to buy a truck from, but im only looking to spend about 1k - 2k dollars.

Thanks.

We call it a lumber hauler

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I don't know what you're driving now, but a trailer may be a better option. You get more for your money, a good one will carry more weight than a half ton, less wear and tear and upkeep.

Just my two cents.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I don't know what you're driving now, but a trailer may be a better option. You get more for your money, a good one will carry more weight than a half ton, less wear and tear and upkeep.

Just my two cents.

Jimmy does have a good point - except for tires... tires are round rubber things that like to split under heavy loads.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
You could order a hitch for your Jeep that will bolt on in existing holes,then trailer.No extra insurance.Tony

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I'd go w/ a hitch and a trailer. For $2k you could probably get a 5'x10' utility trailer, hitch, and be ready to roll.

R

rickc

One option to consider is govdeals.com It is an auction site for government surplus. In December, I picked up a real nice 2000 Ford Crown Vic with 120K on it for $1350 at auction. In great shape, with a great maintenance record. There were several trucks listed during that time period as well. You might find something in your neck of the woods.

To pick up with the trailer theme - you might be able to find a pickup truck bed that has been cut off and used as a trailer. Maybe even find an old PU at a junkyard and get one yourself. You would get benefit of the heavier duty suspension and tires. Can't think you would spend even a grand on something like that.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
If you decide to go trailer route, contact A&B Trailer in Spring Hope. No better deal exists that I know of. 5x10, 3500# tilt deck, with steel floor, is about $550-$600 IIRC. I'll see if I have contact info somewhere. If I do I'll post it.

A & B Trailer Manufacturing Inc

• 2044 George Pace Rd
  • Spring Hope, NC 27882
  • (919) 269-4639
I agree with trailer option.

Last edited:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Good luck finding a 60's p/u, that's a driver, that's cheap. They are cool, so people want them and the price has gone up. Maybe late 70's, early 80's in the 1-2k range.:dontknow:

I'm currently in the same situation. A 60's to early 70's long bed pickup is what I'm after. They're relatively inexpensive and extremely simple to work on. No computers or sensors to deal with. And besides they are really cool looking. Check craigslist.

-Frank

woodylarry

New User
Larry
http://www.doa.state.nc.us/ssp/index.htm

Try here. A buddy of mine bought 2 trucks here (oops, don't bid on 2 things at the same time - you might win them both!). 1 he sold for a couple thou $ profit and the other he still has as a utility truck for hauling lumber, dirt, whatever....(I get to use it for the cost of gas!) The one he kept is a 97 f250 4wd, kinda beat up looking but runs good and thats what he was lookin for anyway. Think he netted out around $2k outa pocket and now owns a truck worth about $4-5k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS