Truck bed drawers

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I would like to get some opinions on runners/slides for extra long drawers. I am planning on building a raised floor in the bed of my 6&1/2 ft. pickup bed with about three drawers. I'm sure some of you have a similar setup for your truck or have seen some. I was thinking of making it in two sections, the forward section accessible by lifting the cover but the rear section with drawers, so the drawers would be about three feet deep. I found some 3' slides in Rockler but they want $150 for them! I considered a dove-tail runner in the center or maybe installing wheels/caster on the bottom of the drawers at the corners and have them sunken or recessed so just a little of the wheel protrudes from the bottom. Anybody got any ideas?

Len

New User
Len
If you go with 3ft drawers behind the axle, be careful how much weight you load in them. Even with an ABS system, hitting the brakes on a wet or icy road in a tail heavy pickup can lead to a double-digit pucker factor.

Len

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Thanks Len, I was only going to make them around 6 inches tall so I could still put thing in the back, sleep on top of it when camping, etc. so they won't be that heavy. I actually plan on using them for fly rod tubes, fly fishing equipment, etc. Also, the truck is a 3/4 ton diesel that I use for hauling other stuff at times so I will lash them down but want to be able easily remove them if I need to haul a load of rock or wood. That's why I was planning on making two sections, I could unload them easier and the drawers wouldn't need to stretch the whole 6 & 1/2 feet.

Len

New User
Len
Ah! I remember seeing a link to plans for something similar on one of the fishing forums a while back. I think it was set up for surf fishing equipment, but it shouldn't be that hard to modify for fly fishing. I have company coming shortly, so I'll see if I can track them down tomorrow.

Len

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Thanks, it appears that the drawers slide OK without runners for those guys. Maybe just some polyethylene strips on the carcase. Thanks for ideas, that should simplify things a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS