Trout Net Build

Linc H

Linc
Corporate Member
I decided to figure out how to build a trout net. I love fishing and am learning to love wood working. So this is what has come from my 2 passions. I went fishing with my 2 sons, son in law and best friend who is a Pastor. We went to Todd NC. April 9th. the weather turned cold 39 degrees and it began snowing. I think the nets handled the elements excellent. The nets are made from Ash, cherry and walnut. I made 3 , 1/8" strips for each net and glued them using tiebond III water proof glue. Steve Blazeman donated some scrap wood I used to make the handle on the Ash net. I procured a small clothes steamer off of FB market place for free, owner said it didnt work, he was right, however I fixed it. I made a steam box out of a PVC tube to soften up the 1/8" slats. My friend Bill L and his son Eric, laser burned MT 4:19 in the Walnut net which I gave to my Pastor buddy as a gift. Stands for Matthew 4:19. "Follow me and I'll make you fisher of men" thought that was an appropriate inscription for a fishing net. Just thought I would share.

Attachments

• Walnut and cherry net.JPG
    Walnut and cherry net.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 174
  • Ash cherry net.JPG
    Ash cherry net.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 166
  • net with trout.JPG
    net with trout.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 179
  • Net glue up.JPG
    Net glue up.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 173

wsender

New User
Will
Looks great! I'd love to see more about the build process. I was fishing the Nantahala and Tuckaseegee last weekend and will be on the Watauga this weekend. I'd love to make a net to bring with me.

Mountain City Bill

Mountain City Bill
Corporate Member
Looks great! I'd love to see more about the build process. I was fishing the Nantahala and Tuckaseegee last weekend and will be on the Watauga this weekend. I'd love to make a net to bring with me.
Wasn't there another thread on building a net a year or so ago? I thought that thread had build details.

Linc H

Linc
Corporate Member
Will you be at Picnic? I will bring a net to show you

BML

Lee
Senior User
Have you considered using a large air hose as a clamp with an inner and outer mold? I used to use that method for making longbows and recurves.

Linc H

Linc
Corporate Member
Have you considered using a large air hose as a clamp with an inner and outer mold? I used to use that method for making longbows and recurves.
That is interesting, I have considered outer form to help add more of a distributed and consistent pressure, and probably wouldn't need as many clamps. I work under the Kaizen way of thinking.." Continuous improvement." I would love to see a glue up of your method to see how it can help. thanks for the idea.

BML

Lee
Senior User
The “hose method” is pretty simple and works great for curved, multi piece laminated construction. You have a top form and a bottom form that are held together with steel straps. You put your laminates on the bottom form, add the hose on top, add the top form, bolt it together with the steel straps, then inflate the hose, which applied even pressure all the way around. I attached some photos from another website. There are a few videos online showing this method as well. I think it could be adapted to fishing nets fairly easily.

I have a lot of the supplies and no longer use them, so I’d be willing to sell some if you’re interested.

Lee

1653741389256.jpeg

1653741365878.jpeg

1653741210013.gif

Linc H

Linc
Corporate Member
Ah I see how you did it. The slats are 1/8”that I need to bend and the bend is more aggressive. So I have to soften the wood so that it is more malleable. Looks like this air method works well with slight curves and thinner strips right? What stuff do have to sell. Send PM. Thanks Lee!

Attachments

• 1E5EEFFC-BFE5-4326-BFDE-DC661A1476F5.jpeg
    1E5EEFFC-BFE5-4326-BFDE-DC661A1476F5.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 53
  • 4CB738C5-F0C2-48CC-B65D-DA92E4766156.jpeg
    4CB738C5-F0C2-48CC-B65D-DA92E4766156.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 47

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS