Trout Landing Net

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Gonna try my hand at making a trout landing net similar to this one. What glue would you use for the laminated strips? I've seen videos where they used Gorilla polyurethane glue or Titebond III. What is everyone's opinion? TIA.

Blackfoot-Full.jpg
 

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Corporate Member
Would you consider taking us along on the journey. I have been thinking about making one as well.
 

Danny Batchelor

Danny
User
I would suggest epoxy. Longer open work time, waterproof and can be thicken in the event you need expansion between strips. Should you choose epoxy, you would need to varnish finished product to prevent delamination.
 

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
This will be a fun project. I watched someone make several until he got it right. A strong suggestion (learning from his mistakes): Make the hoop strips long enough so they extend the entire length of the handle, then insert a piece between the ends so that the 3 pieces glue together to form the handle. If you stop the hoop strips at the top of the handle or try to fasten them to the handle, it's a weak joint and the frame could break.
 

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
This will be a fun project. I watched someone make several until he got it right. A strong suggestion (learning from his mistakes): Make the hoop strips long enough so they extend the entire length of the handle, then insert a piece between the ends so that the 3 pieces glue together to form the handle. If you stop the hoop strips at the top of the handle or try to fasten them to the handle, it's a weak joint and the frame could break.
Good point. Thanks!
 

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Finally got started. Drew the frame template outline on a piece of 3/4 " MDF, (making sure to mark the centerline) cut out the template and fastened it to a piece of plywood. I saved the surrounding cutoffs for glue blocks. The handle is a temporary placeholder.
PXL_20210107_163341089.jpg


I ripped 3/4" strips of walnut and hard maple approximately 55" long. I don't have a drum sander so I cut them just shy 1/4 " thick and planed then down to 1/8". I marked the center of each one so I could align them on the template. Since I don't have a steamer either, I put them in a 2" PVC pipe and soaked them overnight. They bent around the frame much easier than I thought they would. Hopefully they will hold enough memory when they are dry and not break.

The small clamps are from Harbor Freight...$2.49 each when you buy 3 or more.
PXL_20210107_170845915.jpg


Now to let them dry overnight...fingers crossed.
 

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
I'll give it a shot...no promises for picture quality.
Finally got started. Drew the frame template outline on a piece of 3/4 " MDF, (making sure to mark the centerline) cut out the template and fastened it to a piece of plywood. I saved the surrounding cutoffs for glue blocks. The handle is a temporary placeholder.
View attachment 198898

I ripped 3/4" strips of walnut and hard maple approximately 55" long. I don't have a drum sander so I cut them just shy 1/4 " thick and planed then down to 1/8". I marked the center of each one so I could align them on the template. Since I don't have a steamer either, I put them in a 2" PVC pipe and soaked them overnight. They bent around the frame much easier than I thought they would. Hopefully they will hold enough memory when they are dry and not break.

The small clamps are from Harbor Freight...$2.49 each when you buy 3 or more.View attachment 198899

Now to let them dry overnight...fingers crossed.
Glue up. Painters tape coated with paste wax to prevent the glue from sticking where I don't want.

PXL_20210108_173452410.jpg
 

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Done! Fun project. Learned some things along the way such as next time cut the strips longer so they run the entire length of the handle. As you can see from the previous picture, I ended up with a gap between the strips and the handle. My remedy was to continue the "gap" all the way around and fill it with epoxy and turquoise.

I cut a notch in the end of the handle and epoxied a brass rod for attaching a lanyard or retractor. Burned a trout for a little decoration.
net frame final.jpg



Next, I laid out the rubber net to mark and drill the holes for attaching the net.

net holes.jpg

After the finish was applied (4 coats of poly) I attached the net using the nylon cord supplied with the net bag. The 3 pegs keep the cord tight as I moved along. After each attachment point I remove the first peg and place it in the hole I just threaded.

threading.jpg


The finished product.

net final.jpg
 

Attachments

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS

Top