Triton Oscillating Spindle/Belt Sander and Ridgid Comparison

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
At the Klingspor's Extravaganza I purchased a Triton Spindle and Belt sander, because the Triton salesman sold me a bill of goods. Once I got it out of the box I found two major shortcomings in the machine:
  • there is no miter gauge slot in the table top to give you a chance of squaring a touch-up on the end of a board or adjusting a miter corner when using the belt sander.
  • the dust port seems to be an uncommon size (it doesn't match with any of my shop vac hoses), and the included accessory jumps up to a 4" outlet. I need to hook up a 2 1/2" shop vac hose.
I am now investigating the Ridgid belt/spindle sanders, both the old and new models. Excepting that I will have to buy a separate miter gauge for ~$55, either one will solve the two shortcomings. Problem is the reviews of both Ridgid sanders are quite varied with a lot of 1 and 2 star ratings. There are enough to scare me off the machines altogether. I'm interested in any experiences anyone has had with any of the 3 machines. If you purchased a miter gauge for the Ridgid models, I would like to know what you got and where you got it. Thanks.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Why not just make one better than this?
EBE91399-B1F1-4C2E-A187-DC01B9CA9E61.jpeg

When I first got this Ridgid, it’s propensity to throw the object that you were sanding was annoying. I made this simple 90 degree stop and it helped. The bar is split and the T-handle pulls up a flat-head bolt to keep the bar from sliding. One of these days I’ll make a better one.

BTW, a commercial mitre gauge will likely be sloppy in that moulded slot.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
I had one of the Rigid oscillating spindle sanders made just before the Ryobi buyout/merger. It had a cast aluminum table and I could use an old Craftsman table saw miter gauge on it and pretty much trust the square for sanding. Good luck finding one of those beast through. They would be with the grey body and like I said an aluminum bed. If I ever see one on the resell market I won't be posting anything about it anywhere until I own it.

I saw the Triton at the Extravaganza. The price was good so I checked it out a bit. I did not find it impressive.

The newer Rigid ones? No experience with them but they are likely better than the Triton. I'd look for a used one since at least it should be cheaper in cost.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I got my Oscillating Edge Belt/Spindle Sander at Direct Tools on one of the XX% off weekends a Looooong time ago - I am VERY happy with it, I am not sure how it holds up under "heavy" use, but if it stopped working I would not hesitate to get another one.

Gboot

Gene
Senior User
I had the Ridgid sander for many years and find it to be a reliable and effective tool. The slot in the top is a standard width and I use a mitre gauge off an old table saw that I had. I have mine hooked up to a 4” dust collector hose through an adapter. I’ve heard complaints about poor dust collection , while some may remain under the spindle it works just fine for me. Last year a plastic part broke in the spindle mechanism. I readily found a replacement part on Amazon and was back in business.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I had the Ridgid sander for years and it worked flawlessly. I hooked up my shop vac for dust collection and it worked well. I upgraded to a free standing floor model(s) (one for belt and one for spindle sanding) otherwise I would still have it.

Red

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
I believe that Rigid power tools have a lifetime warranty, and J&S Power Tools in Raleigh is an authorized service center.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I have given up on the Triton sander and will be returning it to Klingspor's for a refund. I cannot get a shop vac 2 1/2" hose to hook up cleanly with the sander dust port, and I'm not duct taping any hillbilly rig together. I communicated with Triton customer support (BTW located in Charlotte), and they sent me an adaptor that would fix everything. No where close. I've wasted too much time jumping through somebody else's hoops.

I will start a new thread to get feedback on the two Ridgid models, and pick one of them.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I have given up on the Triton sander and will be returning it to Klingspor's for a refund. I cannot get a shop vac 2 1/2" hose to hook up cleanly with the sander dust port, and I'm not duct taping any hillbilly rig together. I communicated with Triton customer support (BTW located in Charlotte), and they sent me an adaptor that would fix everything. No where close. I've wasted too much time jumping through somebody else's hoops.

I will start a new thread to get feedback on the two Ridgid models, and pick one of them.

I share your frustration wasting time chasing hose adapters. Lately, I have been grabbing a blob of wood and in just a few minutes turning a custom adapter like this. They always fit!
8F01C83B-C63E-4FCE-8FE7-A99B41A103A9.jpeg

Echd

C
User
I have been quite happy with my Harbor Freight Bauer model, although I believe the ridgid specs as having a slightly longer stroke. Regardless the Bauer is properly aggressive as is so I have no complaints (and I got it inexpensively as an open box model).

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member

I’m sorry for your frustration, but I’m appreciative of your willingness to share your experience.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Been considering the Rigid. Good posting. Clarified some things in my thinking. Helpful. Thanks.
Has your research led you to favor one Ridgid model over the other. I've looked into 5 different brands, and if I get a bench top spindle/belt sander combo it will be one of the Ridgid models. I'm exhausted reading customer reviews on both Amazon and Home Depot; both sources have way too many low star ratings on both machines.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS