Triangle Area Basic Relief Carving Class Scheduled - UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
The class is now full.

Basic Relief Carving Class

[FONT=&quot]I’m going to host the Triangle Area Basic Relief Carving class to be taught by Stave [/FONT][FONT=&quot](Mark Strom) that was discussed last week in another thread. Mark and I have[/FONT][FONT=&quot] settled on Saturday, October 29th as the date. Five people had expressed interest in attending if such a class got set up and, when contacted with the details, four of the five were able to commit to attend. They are KenOf Cary, eyekode, zapdafish and me, bobby g .The class is limited to 6 so we have only 2 openings. You can see photos from the class he recently taught in Liberty at Bill's shop along with photos of the 3 panels that we get to choose from as our project during the class, on his blog.
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://stromcarver.com/blog[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cost is $115 per student. Again, the date is Saturday, October 29th. It will run from 10 until 4 with an hour for lunch and shop talk. My shop is located about 6 miles east of Pittsboro just 2 miles off of US64. I can book the first 2 that commit to attend and then I will be happy to put your name on a waiting list. This is a unique opportunity to learn from one of the masters!
[/FONT]
The description of the class follows.

[FONT=&quot]Thanks,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]bobby g[/FONT]

BASIC​
RELIEF CARVING CLASS
Introduction of instructor and students along with showing students examples of the carvings to be completed in the class. There will be a short discussion of what constitutes a relief carving and how to convey dimension in shallow depths. There will also be a discussion on using light and shadow to produce depth or the illusion of depth. Understanding the fundamentals of relief carving will help you “see” the carving when you look at the design.

Discussion of experience if any using the carving tools required and a short demonstration of carving techniques to be used during the class.

There will be short demonstration and discussion on sharpening methods and options. At this time each student’s tools will be examined for sharpness and any adjustments will be made to insure optimum cutting ability.

Students will use a test board to practice techniques. This will be a series of tool exercises to familiarize students with the carving techniques and to help individuals with tool control. Each student will be provided with assistance.

There will be three carving patterns to choose from. A demonstration of how to transfer the design to the material will begin the carving process. Students will transfer their designs and the carving will start. Assistance will be provided throughout the carving process.

After the carvings have been completed a discussion of finishing techniques will be discussed. Samples will be available to illustrate the look and feel of each finish discussed. Carving will be finished at this point.

Tools required:
long handled tools preferred no palm tools please
flat chisel ½” to 5/8”
# 3 gouge 5mm to 8mm (1/4” to 3/8”)
#12 parting tool 3mm to 4mm (3/16” to ¼”)

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Re: Triangle Area Basic Relief Carving Class

Bobby thanks for hosting. I took the class when Bill hosted it. I highly recommend it. Well worth the time and money. Besides the tour of your shop is an added bonus.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Re: Triangle Area Basic Relief Carving Class Scheduled

If you ever thought you might want to learn to carve, this is a great opportunity. Not only is Mark an expert, but he is very good at working w/ beginners and teaching them the art of carving.

And like Scott said, you get to see Bob's shop. That's almost worth the price of admission right there. :eusa_danc

Bill

richlife

New User
Rich

I completely agree with Scott and Bill -- this is an opportunity that no one who is interested in carving should pass up. What was fascinating to me was how much that one day taught me that I didn't even realize until I did another relief carving -- a sunflower. The class experience and so much that Mark told us came back as I worked on the sunflower -- it was a day filled with much learning (including the subconscious).

Rich

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member

Come on folks. These opportunities don't present themselves too often. We'd like to have 2 more to make a class size of 6.

bobby g

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member

I would like to attend the class. I have always wanted to learn about carving. Thanks for offering this opportunity!

Amy

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member

I would like to attend the class. I have always wanted to learn about carving. Thanks for offering this opportunity!

Amy

Great to have you join us Amy! It's just around the corner.

OK folks, one slot left.. first come, first served.

bobby g

dupont6480

New User
Tim

Bob,
I am interested in attending but need to check my calendar at work. I will contact you tomorrow on ability to attend. Thanks, Tim

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Bump

One slot remains available. Don't miss out.

Basic Relief Carving Class

[FONT=&quot]I’m going to host the Triangle Area Basic Relief Carving class to be taught by Stave [/FONT][FONT=&quot](Mark Strom) that was discussed last week in another thread. Mark and I have[/FONT][FONT=&quot] settled on Saturday, October 29th as the date. Five people had expressed interest in attending if such a class got set up and, when contacted with the details, four of the five were able to commit to attend. They are KenOf Cary, eyekode, zapdafish and me, bobby g .The class is limited to 6 so we have only 2 openings. You can see photos from the class he recently taught in Liberty at Bill's shop along with photos of the 3 panels that we get to choose from as our project during the class, on his blog.
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://stromcarver.com/blog[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cost is $115 per student. Again, the date is Saturday, October 29th. It will run from 10 until 4 with an hour for lunch and shop talk. My shop is located about 6 miles east of Pittsboro just 2 miles off of US64. I can book the first 2 that commit to attend and then I will be happy to put your name on a waiting list. This is a unique opportunity to learn from one of the masters!
[/FONT]
The description of the class follows.

[FONT=&quot]Thanks,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]bobby g[/FONT]

BASIC​
RELIEF CARVING CLASS
Introduction of instructor and students along with showing students examples of the carvings to be completed in the class. There will be a short discussion of what constitutes a relief carving and how to convey dimension in shallow depths. There will also be a discussion on using light and shadow to produce depth or the illusion of depth. Understanding the fundamentals of relief carving will help you “see” the carving when you look at the design.

Discussion of experience if any using the carving tools required and a short demonstration of carving techniques to be used during the class.

There will be short demonstration and discussion on sharpening methods and options. At this time each student’s tools will be examined for sharpness and any adjustments will be made to insure optimum cutting ability.

Students will use a test board to practice techniques. This will be a series of tool exercises to familiarize students with the carving techniques and to help individuals with tool control. Each student will be provided with assistance.

There will be three carving patterns to choose from. A demonstration of how to transfer the design to the material will begin the carving process. Students will transfer their designs and the carving will start. Assistance will be provided throughout the carving process.

After the carvings have been completed a discussion of finishing techniques will be discussed. Samples will be available to illustrate the look and feel of each finish discussed. Carving will be finished at this point.

Tools required:
long handled tools preferred no palm tools please
flat chisel ½” to 5/8”
# 3 gouge 5mm to 8mm (1/4” to 3/8”)
#12 parting tool 3mm to 4mm (3/16” to ¼”)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS