Triad Shop Crawl - October 15, 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
LATEST UPDATES!

10-14-11:
This will be the last update (I think). The Shop Crawl is TOMORROW. Registration / sign-in begins at 8:00 AM at The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville, w/ coffee, juice, and doughnuts generously provided by THS.

Looks like we'll have about 20 lost souls crawling around in the dust. But it's not too late to join in the fun. If you've had a change in plans, or just want to get in on the good times, you can still register here.

See y'all in the morning. :eusa_danc:icon_cheers:eusa_danc

10-11-11:
Our final stop on the Crawl will be my shop. It's a 2,000 sf free standing building that was designed and built specifically to be a woodworking shop, even though it resembles a red barn. As my 7th, and last, shop I tried to factor in all the things I liked and disliked about the first 6. As you might expect, I didn't quite get everything right, but it works for me. :wsmile: I hope you'll come see it. If you haven't signed up, now is the time to do it. :eusa_danc

10-9-11:
Less than a week to go for the Triad Shop Crawl. If you're planning on attending but haven't signed up yet, it's time to do so. Here's a link to the sign-up form. The rules state that you must be Discount Qualified (DQ) to sign up. If you're not DQ, but would like to attend, please contact me or any member who is planning on attending and you can be registered as a guest. See you there!

10-4-11:
The first shop we'll visit after lunch is SteveW's in Mebane. It's a 12 x 20 Dutch Barn shed. Steve describes it as a typical woodworking shop w/ 2 benches, table saw, planer, jointer, drill press, and a host of other tools.

9-26-11
: One of the shops we'll visit is that of BryanS in Burlington. It's a 24x20 stand alone building built from 8/4 rough sawn pine, w/ T1-11 siding. Bryan originally thought it was built from timber cut on the property, but recently learned it wasn't. He met a gentleman who said he helped construct it. He also said many beers were consumed during the construction process. It appears to Bryan that most of them were consumed while using a tape measure and level. :gar-La;

9-12-11: Our first stop will be The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville, where the owner, Hil Peel will take us on a tour of their shop. He'll demonstrate some of their more impressive machinery, including their newest baby, the Northtech 16", 2 sided planer w/ helical heads, as well as anything else we'd like to see. When we go into their shop eye protection is required, and hearing protection is advised, so definitely bring your safety glasses, and hearing protection if you desire.

Sign-in and social time will begin at 8:00 am, and The Hardwood Store has generously offered to provide coffee, juice, and doughnuts. The tour will begin at 8:30 and last approximately 30-45 minutes. We will remain at the store for awhile after the tour to allow everyone time to browse their great selection of wood and make any purchases you desire. And remember, for NCWW members, they always give "next column over" pricing: when you look at their price list, base your cost on the next column to the right.

8-11-11: We'll stop at the Golden Corral in Burlington for lunch. It's brand new, having been rebuilt after a fire destroyed the old one a couple of years ago. It's also close to one of the shops on the tour, w/ easy access onto the interstate for the next shop on the tour. Hopefully there will be something on the menu for everyone, and the manager says they can seat us all together, possibly in a private room.

7-25-11: The Crawler Sign-up sheet is now available for those who plan on attending.

Crawl Details

Thanks to some very generous folks who've offered to be Shop Host, we've managed to organize a Shop Crawl for this fall. The Crawl will begin at The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville, NC, make stops at the shops of Bryan S and Wooduser, and have some lunch in Burlington, then on to see Steve W's shop in Mebane. From there we'll head south to my shop outside Liberty.

A lot more information will follow, including a Crawler Sign-Up Form, and I'll update this post as we go along, so stay tuned. But for now I just wanted to alert everyone that it's coming so you can get it on your calendars: October 15, 2011. :icon_cheers

For those members who may not be familiar with the term "Shop Crawl", what exactly is it?
Well, its fun! We tour Shops of those kind souls who have offered to host us.

There is a published itinerary for the day, which we call a Crawl Package. It provides a mapped route and schedule to the day's shops. We travel in a caravan from shop to shop.

Here are some photo albums from past Crawls: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/index.php?cat=1743

Often times there is food. Lots and lots of food.

Depending on the Crawl, there may also be Demo's, Lumber Sales, Tool Swaps, and more!

Douglas Robinson started the North Carolina Woodworker Shop Crawl tradition back in February of 2008.

What are some of these catch phrases?
Shop Host
- A brave soul who agrees to open up their shop to us.
Crawler - That'd be you! Its someone who attends the Crawl.
Crawlpool - Its a clever way to describe a Car Pool for a Shop Crawl!
Crawl Package - The directions and itinerary for the Crawl, sent to those who sign up.
DQ - Discount Qualified
Lumber Run - Sale of various kinds of lumber.
Qualifications to Attend A Shop Crawl

Please read this page for a description of the requirements to be a Crawler.
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/v...e_requirements

Note that we have made allowances for those who don't meet the requirements.

What is DQ Qualified?
It stands for Discount Qualification. It is a benefit we extend to users who have met defined criteria.

You can read about the criteria and steps you must take in order to obtain DQ here: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/s...91&postcount=1

Don't know if you're DQ: in your User Profile, check either to the right of your profile picture or by clicking on the North Carolina Woodworker Info tab. Feel free to contact the Staff through the Help Desk Forum if you have any questions about your DQ status.

Bill

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Bump! Just wanted to let everyone know there have been a couple of updates, including the sign-up sheet.

Bill

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Update on the first stop on the tour, The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville. With just over a month to go, it's time to sign up if you plan to go crawling. :icon_thum

Bill

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bump
If you have never been on a Shop Crawl, you should really consider it. I cannot think of any shop I've been into that I didn't learn from. If you're not qualified to attend, ask someone who is to sponsor you as a guest. I'm sure they would be glad to have you.
Thanks to Bill and the others who do the legwork to put this one together. For members in other regions of the state, contact me & we'll set you up for another one. :icon_thum

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Less than 3 weeks to go until the Triad Shop Crawl. If you're planning on joining us, you need to sign up. :eusa_danc

I've posted an update in the original thread (above) about one of the shops we'll be visiting.

Bill

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
We're getting close now. Less than 2 weeks away. If you're planning on joining the group, you need to sign-up so we can get a count of how many to expect.

See you there. :eusa_danc

Bill

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Less than a week to go. If you haven't signed up, it time to do it. Name tags are being made this week.

If you tried to sign up but were told you aren't qualified, it's probably because you aren't Discount Qualified (DQ). Don't let that stop you! You can be registered as a guest by contacting me or any DQ member who is planning on attending.

Bill

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I've posted a new update in the original thread (above) about the last stop on the Crawl. It's not too late to sign up if you decide you want to attend. The Crawl Package will go out Thursday for those who have registered to attend.

Bill

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Just posted what I think will be the last update in the original thread (top of this page). It's still not too late to register if you decide you want to join in.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS