Trestle Table Advice Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
My question is how to fasten the table top to the lower frame. The top will #2 pine glued up to 68" x 42"
with an apron that will probably end up at 64" x 38" (2 1/2"w x 3/4") fastened to the table top with pocket hole screws. :dontknow:

Each vertical leg (7 1/2"w x 1 1/2"t) will be set in 12" from each end in order to provide comfortable seating and knee space. There will be a single lower stretcher with a through tenon which will be pinned in some way to lock it in and prevent end-to-end rocking.

I've heard of devices called "cabinetmaker's" buttons which ride/slide in a groove to fasten a table top to its base and they're supposed to accommodate movement. How are these made and how do they work? :help:

Sorry if the above is vague and confusing, but I'm just in the planning stage. As always any advice, suggestions, and critique is more than welcome.

M

McRabbet

You need to attach the apron to the top with either a zig-zag clip or a cabintmaker's button (see the diagram at the top left on page 83 of this Bill Hylton book). I usually add a groove along the inside top of the apron and add hardwood buttons like the ones shown (three per end and four per side). These allow the top to be secured to the apron and still allow cross-grain movement.

In order to connect your trestle legs, I would add two interior pairs of false apron pieces that will accept the trestle leg between them and then bolt through them and the legs to hold the legs firmly in place. I assume you will have a stretcher between the legs lower down for stability and strength.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Rob,

Thanks for the information. After reading a bit I like the cabinet maker buttons better than the clips for a more professional look with no rust.

If I cut them out of 3/4" thick oak stock would you suggest a 1/4" deep rabbet to fit in the apron grooves? Maybe about 2" in width and about 1 1/2-2" or 2" in total length.
Maybe make the apron grooves about 1/4" deep for the button lip? :dontknow:

Thanks again.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Another option is to put threaded inserts in the top, and using slots in the cross supports like this:

Just a thought. It worked well for me.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS