Trend sharpening kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
https://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/td20065/

I finally got to try out my trend sharpening kit from Klingspor's Woodworking Shop and I am a convert.
I have used and recommended DMT diamond stones for that last 15 years, that is what I knew and all I
had experience with. Well, I had tried a couple other's but they were no where near as good.

I was reluctant to try Trend even though several of my friend's use them and like them.

For a while they only had 300 and 1000 grit and I didn't think that was enough.

So I got this kit with two double sided stones, a leather strop, stropping compound, honing fluid for the stone, and a neat case to keep it all in one place. The stones are double sided with 180/600 grit on one stone and 300/1000 grit on the other. I think the perfect progression from extra coarse to extra fine.

There is a slight learning curve with these stones, the instructions included with the kit recommend a break in period of light use to even the surface. I found this to be particularly needed on the 1000 grit which seemed very coarse until it was broken in. Then it performed much better than my DMT.

Overall I am very pleased with this kit and it contains everything needed to sharpen most of the hand tools used in woodworking.

The only thing I added is a couple of these stone holders to get the stones up off the bench a little.

https://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/bh19048/

As you can see I modified my case to hold the stones with the holders in place.

attachment.php

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_169.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_169.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 519
Last edited:

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I've been thinking about the Trends appreciate the review. Are you stopping at 1000?

I've also been using DMT, also, both DiaSharp and the Duo mesh plates (not super happy with the mesh).

I found these which look identical to Trend but haven't gotten one yet.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I got to try Mikes Trend kit while at Bills and at the sharpening workshop. I have the DMT stones and I like then very much so I'm not likely to drop one for the other. However, if I was starting from scratch or are moving away from water, or oil stones I would totally recommend the trend kit Mike has. These stones cut fast and are easy to maintain. You'll not likely to find another system that will handle old steels and the newer steel combinations that are being sold.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've used the Trend Diamonds for a while now and also prefer them to any others. I also have some of their diamond files and find them extremely useful. And it is good that you can purchase their entire line from Klingspor.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike,
What led you to purchase the Trend kit?

Have you ever used Shapton "stones"?
Curious on the Trend vs. Shapton...

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Since I demo and teach at Klingspor sometimes I feel like I should at least try their products. The kit made sense since it has everything needed to sharpen plane blades and chisels in one package. And Ken had been telling for several years that they are better than DMT. I have watched the price steadily increase and the quality go down so it seemed like time to switch.

Yes, I have a set of Shapton glass stones. A little less expensive since half the thickness is glass compared to solid stone.
The Shaptons are very fine I have up to 16,000 grit and have used them only a few times. In my opinion they are too slow, messy since they have to be sprayed with water every few minutes, and excessively fine. I can get back to work quicker with a very serviceable edge using diamonds and a leather strop.

People take sharpening too far or they don't understand the basic principle. I guess once they learn what sharp is they want to go further and further into that hole. I just want to get a sharp edge and get back to work.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
People take sharpening too far or they don't understand the basic principle. I guess once they learn what sharp is they want to go further and further into that hole. I just want to get a sharp edge and get back to work.

100% agree with this!!!!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike,
It is really funny that you posted this today as I received the Rob Cosman newsletter and there is a link to his sharpening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLobikOSftY

(Just another method) but he states the same thing - if it is not quick and efficient, "you" won't do it and hand tool woodworking REQUIRES sharp tools! I am not the first to state this, but "Many people don't know what "sharp" is... once they see it and understand what they are working toward it becomes much easier...

in another video he promotes sharpening using a 16,000 grit stone - but I notice he doesn't hone, and I think that is the difference in your (Mike Davis' sharpening teaching and a shout out to Paul Sellers - who (I think) is the "Someone who says you don't need to sharpen your plane beyond 300 grit"

But he demonstrates the "ruler trick" I don't use it, but may try it one day soon. It seems like rather than creating a "Bevel" or "back bevel" you CAN use to simply remove the wire edge and ensure the bevel plane and the "flat back" of the blade are coming to a single point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWX2ursXfqw

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
You have to realize he is working with brand new high quality blades and he sharpens often to avoid having to go back to the coarser stones. 1000 and 16,000 as a pair make sense. As to the ruler it is no trick. Simply sharpening less material by making a back bevel on the blade. Sharpen less area and it goes more quickly. As to the 30 seconds... maybe 30 on each side and on each stone, so 2 minutes of actual sharpening but look at the clock almost 4 minutes total time away from planing. That is reasonable and I would say normal.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
The (ruler trick) back bevel works well if there is some very light pitting on the back side of the iron. Only time I use it. It saves a lot of time (and length of the iron) due to not having to grind past the back side pitting.

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
a shout out to Paul Sellers - who (I think) is the "Someone who says you don't need to sharpen your plane beyond 300 grit"

Not quite. Paul Sellers has said that 300 grit can get to "carpenter's sharp" (his phrase), but for joinery work, he recommends sharpening through the grits and finishing with a strop loaded with buffing compound.

mbromley

New User
Bromley
I think I need to get a 180 stone, I spent an hour the other night just trying to re-establish my primary bevel for my block plane iron with a 300 grit trend diamond stone.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I think I need to get a 180 stone, I spent an hour the other night just trying to re-establish my primary bevel for my block plane iron with a 300 grit trend diamond stone.
You need a grinder, no stoning operation should ever take more than a few minutes.

mbromley

New User
Bromley
Hm good to know! I don't have a grinder and the stone works just VERY slowly. I'll have to look into getting one because that was a huge time sink.

Jeff

New User
Jeff

A 300 grit diamond stone with a honing guide should've been plenty adequate in much less than 1 hour. I have a few DMT Diasharp combo stones (blue, 325g and red, 600 g) and (red, 600g and green, 1200g) along with 3 Shapton glass stones (4000, 6000, and 8000). I rarely use the Shaptons and the 8000 is still wrapped in its original package. The Shaptons are nice but they're probably overkill after I've done the DMT 1200g and maybe +/- a leather strop.

They seem to be plenty sharp, "shave hairs", and work fine.

Is this what you have? And you're using their "lapping fluid" or just water?

https://www.trend-uk.com/en/US/prod...one_doublesided_finecoarse_6x2x516_inch_.html

mbromley

New User
Bromley
A 300 grit diamond stone with a honing guide should've been plenty adequate in much less than 1 hour. I have a few DMT Diasharp combo stones (blue, 325g and red, 600 g) and (red, 600g and green, 1200g) along with 3 Shapton glass stones (4000, 6000, and 8000). I rarely use the Shaptons and the 8000 is still wrapped in its original package. The Shaptons are nice but they're probably overkill after I've done the DMT 1200g and maybe +/- a leather strop.

They seem to be plenty sharp, "shave hairs", and work fine.

Is this what you have? And you're using their "lapping fluid" or just water?

https://www.trend-uk.com/en/US/prod...one_doublesided_finecoarse_6x2x516_inch_.html

I was actually using WD-40, but it definitely seemed the stone was getting clogged. I used the included eraser a few times, but it still took a long while. I'm using the veritas mk2 honing guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS