Trend Air Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I was at a friends shop yesterday cutting lots of poplar and oak on the TS without dust collection. I borrowed his Trend Air Shield without every using one before. AMAZING! I'm also in the market for one of these. It filters the air and blows it down from about your brow. It kept the lens clear of fog and dust, plus the air was cool. Wonderful experience. I'm sold! Now, I've heard that some people don't like the weight of the unit. The battery pack sits above your head just toward the back. I didn't mind it and still want one. Another comment...make sure you get the battery charger that's smart. Otherwise if you leave it plugged into the stock charger you'll damage the rechargeable batteries.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have one and don't use it very much. It works fine, but I find it somewhat restrictive. I mostly only use a face shield if I'm turning. I find the old traditional flip it down when using it type more convenient. If I were turning something I'm allergic to I might want the extra protection of filtered air the Trend gives you. It also keeps you a little cooler due to the air movement. Nothing wrong with it and it works fine. I just tend to grab the one that is easier to put on - and that I can lift up to drink some coffee of bottled water without a lot of fuss.

YMMV.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I have one and use it when sanding and almost any time a lathe is on. If this one crapped out tonight, I'd have a new one tomorrow.
You only get one set of lungs (usually) and mine have had 40 years of smoke (fire fighter not cigarette), even longer of wood dust, second hand smoke etc etc etc.
Some people only wear something to protect from known allergens which is fine for them, but my lungs are worth the aggravation, weight, noise (which is slight but constant) etc others say are why they won't wear an air shield. Maybe after 40 years of wearing a fire helmet the design feels "natural" but it really doesn't bother me. I like the face protection as well. The one issue I had with mine their technical people talked me right through.

Last edited:

quid_non

Wayne
Senior User
Agree with comments above- -while I don't have the Trend Air Shield I have a very old 3M device that is very similar. It has now bit the dust (all puns intended) and replacement parts (filters) are no longer available despite heroic efforts to locate. I'm going to but the Trend AirShield Pro model as soon as it comes on sale. Best price I have seen yet is ~$380. Anybody sees better deal, please let us know.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I have one and it does a good job filtering out the dust and keeping my glasses from fogging up while in use. It is a little heavier than I would like but I can live with that. I bought mine at the WW show in Hickory, in less than a year the head band came apart when I went to adjust it. I called the company, told them my problem and their first words were " what is your address, we will send you a new one". I was not the first one to have the issue due to a bad batch of head bands. That made me a happy camper. I do have to remove my cochlear implant processor so I have almost no hearing while I wear the air shield. With having COPD----I will sacrifice the hearing while raising the wood dust.

Jerry

Lowlander

New User
Chris
Toolmarts.com $328.49 free shipping, looks like no tax. Sale ends today includes the 10%off in cart

dwminnich

New User
Dave
Yep, I've got one and use it regularly, especially when sanding. I was hesitant to drop big bucks on one, but when I found an almost-new one at an estate sale for just $50, I didn't think twice! I've since replaced the battery and filters, and it's humming along like new. (Sorry for the gloat... Well not really ;-)

--dave

Mr. Bill

New User
Bill Hinds
COPD and allergies drove me to "drop the bucks" for mine and I've never regretted a penny. Had the same strap problem as some others and they were one the spot with a replacement! The weight is a nuisance but worth it.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
One to consider, do you have any issues with clostrophobia? I have tried one and had major issues, similar to when trying scuba diving.
I admit I have a major problem. For example, I hate elevators and will generally use the stairs for 5 floors or less, even with luggage.

Trend once sold a half respirator without the eye cover but it is no longer available. I have inquired with no luck. I have good dust collection in the shop, an overhead air cleaner and use festool sanders with their dust extractor. This is an expensive approach but works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS