Trees for wood..

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/zip/1152919022.html

I have 2 large trees that I need to get rid of. 1 of them is a poplar that has been on the ground for about a year. The trunk has been cut into 8 foot sections and it has just sat in the back yard since it was cut down. The other is a maple that hasn't been cut down yet. I am going to cut the trunks into maybe 16" sections, and I was planning on taking them to the dump until someone told me that maybe I could find someone who would want them for firewood. Let me know if you want them and what size you want them cut to. It will be ready for you to pick up next weekend (5/9). Located in Cary near Walnut & Maynard. Thanks!

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
It pays to go back and read something for the 2nd time. When I read Gary's post I couldn't believe that he (NC Turner) was going to take the trees to the dump. Free wood is something a turner never turns down. I was puzzled. On the 2nd read I realized that he was had posted a craigslist ad that someone else had posted..

Dragon

New User
David
Shame to see all that maple go to firewood or a dump. I'd love to have the larger trunk and stump sections but too far for me to go.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Went and looked at these today. The Maple isn't much to speak of, but should get some nice turning wood from it, the whole tree was growing in a big curve. Wierd. The Poplar is nice I am thinking about trying to have it sawn up. The logs are 8-10' and straight as arrows. Has been down for about a year (well shaded)and shows signs of spalting.

Update:

BOOOO HISSSS, just found out all that pretty spalted poplar is gonna be turned to firewood, might be able to save a few small pieces though..here's hoping.

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
Poplar has to be the worst firewood ever. It crackles and pops sending sparks everywhere, but more importantly it won't produce squat for heat.

I heated with wood for about 10 years and would never waste my time cutting poplar for firewood.

I would, however, cut it up for dough bowl blanks and spoons! In fact I still have 2 big blanks out in the barn waiting for me to get off my butt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS