Tree Id Help, Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimwill48

James
Can anyone help me Id this tree? Thanks...james

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

One of these days I've got to learn or to Id trees on my own :BangHead: .

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Try What Tree is That from the Arbor Day Foundation.

I gave up trying to ID trees by pictures a long time ago. In most cases you gotta use all your senses to do a proper ID. Thank God you can't smell things from the internet (at least not yet).

timf67

New User
Tim
Hard to tell from the picture, but it is either a black gum or a serviceberry. [STRIKE]The bark color is making me lean more toward the serviceberry.[/STRIKE] On second look at the pic, I believe Mike has it with Black Gum.

jimwill48

James
After some replys, I think I'm leaning toward the Black Gum or Black Tupelo Is. It to big for serviceberry.

James

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
After some replys, I think I'm leaning toward the Black Gum or Black Tupelo Is. It to big for serviceberry.

James

Whatever it is (Black Gum) it has a big nasty knot that healed up... If your thinking about making lumber out of that section of the trunk. You do realize that big nasty knot will run right down to the heartwood and will be in every board that is sawn from that quarter face of the log.

Thanks

jimwill48

James
Yup, not cutting it yet. Its in a 1/4acre part of my yard that is a small pine stand. And I will clean it up one of these days. If anything I would cut it up for turning, got to love the black hole that is woodturning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS