Tree Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoodoo

Roger
Senior User
My wife had me cut some branches off a tree in our front yard. One of the branches in particular was special to my kids (twin 8 year old girls). They have been hanging and climbing on that branch for the past five years. I would love to take the branch and make something special for them.

My issue is I am a complete newbie to woodworking and I need to know what I should do to preserve the wood or store it until I decide what to do. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Paint the cut end with hot wax today.

There are commercial mixes that work better, easier to apply, but it would take time to acquire. You can get Gulf sealing wax at most grocery stores, melt in a double boiler and paint the cut end of the branch with a cheap throw away brush to slow the drying.

Then store in a cool dry place until you are ready to make something.

I did the same with a branch my kids played on at our old farm. I made the leg braces for our kitchen table.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Reading this I had a thought- would the wound dressing that arborists use after pruning work for this purpose?
I ask because I've tried the latex paint route with nothing good to report.
I do have the wound dressing on hand so it might serve in a pinch if it'll work.
Wax would be cheaper but takes some effort and may not be sitting around when I need it.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Reading this I had a thought- would the wound dressing that arborists use after pruning work for this purpose?
I do have the wound dressing on hand so it might serve in a pinch if it'll work.
Wax would be cheaper but takes some effort and may not be sitting around when I need it.

Just pony up Steve and get some anchor seal - you can check if Scott Smith still has some of his available.
Or, Klingspore (woodsealer), woodcraft (Anchor seal 2)

But in the end you are going to use it, because now every piece of firewood you see "Looks like a GREAT lathe blank!"

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Hank- I've been wearing those glasses for about 18 months!
That's why all my bowls have such interesting "character"

As for the ponies, I keep them reined inas much as I can.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hank- I've been wearing those glasses for about 18 months!
That's why all my bowls have such interesting "character"

As for the ponies, I keep them reined inas much as I can.

"The more I spend the more I want?"

Jeff

New User
Jeff

The purpose of end sealing is to slow down the moisture loss and suppress checking. But you knew that anyway.

1. Wax, good stuff for that purpose. The Gulf Wax is available in the canning section at the grocery store. +1 to AnchorSeal.

2. Latex paint, poor stuff because because it's moisture permeable.

3. Arborist tree wound dressing. ??? TreeKote (Walter C. Clark & Son) is mainly asphalt so it could work in a pinch I suppose.

http://www.gemplers.com/docs/msds/3796.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS