Transtint adventure

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
My parter tells me at 3:00 today we need two columns in Birch sprayed to color match the cabinets being installed tomorrow. The installer is stuck without them. Natural Birch.

Off we go with alcohol and black Transtint. Too black has a bluish tint. So we follow with dark Walnut, close but still too black. Another coat bright yellow and we get lucky, perfect match.

9AB464D1-6E49-4279-98FD-8E34503FB7E1.jpeg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
This underlines that when this Covid is settled back down we need to have a color class - I think @danmart77 did it at @Phil S 's shop and I couldn't make it - I will figure out how to this time!

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Wow! I have used transtint and found it to be tricky...I can't imagine using bright yellow over black and having it blend evenly over the entire surface - very impressive.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wow! I have used transtint and found it to be tricky...I can't imagine using bright yellow over black and having it blend evenly over the entire surface - very impressive.
I actually used some green to pull red out of a stain, but I was just guessing and playing at it... I wish I had the knowledge and confidence or at least a copy of the alchemist's book! LOL

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Last time I did this was making legs and a lyre for a 19th century piano. The movers lost the parts. Had to use same as original European Walnut and finished it with clear coat with Walnut Transtint. The match was off quite a bit and the customer as well as me were not satisfied. Brought it back with a piece of wood from the actual piano and got lucky with a perfect match, using a bright red transtint dye in another coat. Legs below was before the fix. Took the legs back an hour later and installed them. No expert here, just lucky so far. I am sure someone smart here knows how to do color matching and mixing, there must be instructional materials available somewhere?

IMG_0696.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS