Track Saw Advice

TheyCallMeTex

New User
Ben
Hi all:

I'm getting into woodworking and starting to build some stuff that is more sophisticated than slapping a few boards together. Right now I'm building a hutch for our printer, the goal is to practice building square boxes and drawers that work.

In building, I've found that my current system (cheap Ryobi circular saw + clamps + long pieces of wood + obsessive measuring and remeasuring) is kind of...slow. I'm not to the point where I'm ready to invest in a table saw, but I have been looking at track saws.

The YouTube woodworking bros all use the Festool or Kreg, but I've been reading reviews and the Makita is consistently popping to the top. I work in tech, so I know how content marketing works -- I expect Festool aand Kreg are sending tons of free saws out, and Makita is paying people to write "Top 10 Track Saws in 2022" articles :) Are the Makita saws legit? I expect that I'll keep using a track saw for a long time, even if there is a table saw in my workshop's future.

Do yall have any advice here? Or will I be disappointed? A track saw looks like a circular saw + a straight edge, but significantly faster to set up and repeat cuts.

Thanks yall!

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I use a track saw to break down sheet goods and large pieces. I am not a big person. I use a framing square to set up. I can do it without help and get good results.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I went with the Festool because I needed to cut some 2" thick mahogany doors down. Thing is a beast, and I've had subs watch me use it and go get their own. Honestly with a track saw you may not even need a table saw, I don't for my needs.

You won't go wrong with either the Festool or Makita. I went with Festool since I had the sander and dust collector already.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Yes, the Makita is a good saw. I do not have one but have looked at a lot of reviews and it is consistently ranked high. It uses the same track as a Festool which might be significant. Tracks are a major part of the track saw investment so if you got a Makita and later decided to upgrade to a Festool you would not need new tracks. Scott Brown has a youtube channel and really likes his Makita track saw - if you want to watch it being used.

I use a DeWalt and I like it but the track is unique and it does not have any major advantage over the Makita. I got it because the saw plus a 106 and 59 inch track was about $600. A good deal at the time. Now third parties (like Powertec) sell compatible tracks for a lot less but not the long ones. I also use an "Evolution" track saw at church and we just join a couple Wen tracks (which are OK but only 50 inches, I think PowerTec 59s are a better idea). It works fine as long as you check the joined track to be sure it's straight.

I think a Makita saw plus a couple 59 inch Powertec tracks and a couple DeWalt clamps would be a good setup. You can decide later if you want the Makita 122 inch track. A long track is great for working in my shop but it would be a pain to transport. I consider my DeWalt a "forever" tool, I have no desire to upgrade. I am pretty sure the Makita is good enough to go into this category. Festool has some ease of use advantages but also a smaller motor and a 5mm smaller blade - so some disadvantages too.

You will want at least a jobsite type table saw if you keep doing this. Cutting small pieces with a track saw is not simple or quick. I have a SawStop. I cut all large pieces, solid or sheet goods, with my DeWalt. It is just much easier.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a cordless Makita track saw. It works well, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if something happens to this one. The only "gotcha" is that they use a 6½" (165mm) size blade, where the other manufacturers use 160mm.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
I own the corded Makita along with all 3 variations of their tracks...

39"
55"
118"

I was looking at the larger Festool, as well as the smaller version, as well as 2 other, but ultimately went with the Makita.
It doesn't have a anti-kickback anything, but if you aren't "silly" with it, it will be fine.

With regards to the tracks, I was hesitant with going through on the 118", but in the end... I love it, especially for cutting down sheet goods. With the 118", I don't need to cross my fingers and hope it is a straight cut, with (2) shorter tracks affixed with some sort of contraption. I just slap the long track on the piece of wood and cut.

2 months ago I used the Makita & long track to help my neighbor create straight edges on 7 - 10 pieces of lumber grade pine, as well as cedar, that were 2" x 8' (up to 9') long. It's true, I had to go a little slower on the cuts, because they were 2" thick, but in the end, the boards we so clean and straight, my neighbor was ecstatic. These pieces were going to a customer for a mantel build, too. He also has a Delta contractor table saw, but he wasn't about to man handle these on there and I don't blame him.

One thing I do have.. and I am still not fully sold on, is this TSO parallel guide rail: $180

TSO also offers some other tools to help you with repeatable cuts, similar to the Peckerwoods, but I passed on those since I have a table saw.
3hp SawStop.

Overall, I am happy with my purchase of the corded Makita track saw and tracks.

TheyCallMeTex

New User
Ben
similar to the Peckerwoods
You're talking about WoodPeckers, right? Is it just because you pay by the degree for their tools? Like a right angle is $90?

(I need to learn all the inside woodworker's jokes!)

Also, I see lots of yall with the SawStop -- that's a thread that already exists, I'm sure :)

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
You're talking about WoodPeckers, right? Is it just because you pay by the degree for their tools? Like a right angle is $90?

(I need to learn all the inside woodworker's jokes!)

Also, I see lots of yall with the SawStop -- that's a thread that already exists, I'm sure :)
Correct... I'd rather not say their name..for personal reasons.

And that's pretty much how W.P. charges, at least, imo.

Regardless, there are plenty of nice tools out there, especially ones that do not cost a fortune. PEC, for one.

Also, this is not a tool I own or advertise, and I'm definitely 100% 'Merican, but I came across this and thought it was pretty cool. Hope it is as accurate as cool, too.

Yes, a lot, I think, have SawStops. I've had mine for 2 years, but this is the 2nd one I've owned. The first 1 was DOA from the get go and I didn't know until 1 year later...(I didn't get 220 installed until 1 year later ..long story).

Regardless, SawStop sent me a brand new replacement and I'm loving it. When you don't get a lemon, with any tool, it's always a pleasure to work with...most likely how that track saw will treat you.

Side note...you better order your SawStop before May, since they're increasing their prices by 5-6%

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Hi all:

I'm getting into woodworking and starting to build some stuff that is more sophisticated than slapping a few boards together. Right now I'm building a hutch for our printer, the goal is to practice building square boxes and drawers that work.

In building, I've found that my current system (cheap Ryobi circular saw + clamps + long pieces of wood + obsessive measuring and remeasuring) is kind of...slow. I'm not to the point where I'm ready to invest in a table saw, but I have been looking at track saws.

The YouTube woodworking bros all use the Festool or Kreg, but I've been reading reviews and the Makita is consistently popping to the top. I work in tech, so I know how content marketing works -- I expect Festool aand Kreg are sending tons of free saws out, and Makita is paying people to write "Top 10 Track Saws in 2022" articles :) Are the Makita saws legit? I expect that I'll keep using a track saw for a long time, even if there is a table saw in my workshop's future.

Do yall have any advice here? Or will I be disappointed? A track saw looks like a circular saw + a straight edge, but significantly faster to set up and repeat cuts.

Thanks yall!

Your intuition about the limits of a track saw rig is right on target. EVERY cut has to be measured and clamped. When building case work, that's going to get real old, real quick. As has been said, a track saw is great for cutting down awkward 4x8 sheet goods but your clamps and circular saw can do that as well.

1     edge 1 - 2.jpg

1     edge 1 - 3.jpg
I use a straightedge and circular saw to get things manageable enough for the table saw. I need longer arms for the crosscut.

1     edge 1 - 1.jpg

1     edge 2 - 1.jpg

The components of casework are easily done on the table saw.

1     edge 3 - 1.jpg

1     edge 3 - 2.jpg

The above cabinet couldn't have been built by me if I didn't have a table saw. Imagine setting up a track saw for all those component rip cuts and cross cuts.

TheyCallMeTex

New User
Ben
The above cabinet couldn't have been built by me if I didn't have a table saw. Imagine setting up a track saw for all those component rip cuts and cross cuts.
This is beautiful work! Those are push-open doors, right?

I will absolutely be in the market for a cabinet/table saw one day, but I have to validate that it's worth spending a few thousand bucks on it. My goal is to build a desk for my office, with a matching hutch for the printer. But this is my first real woodworking project, I kind of want to do it the hard way so that I have a better opinion about what I want down the road.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
But this is my first real woodworking project, I kind of want to do it the hard way so that I have a better opinion about what I want down the road.

Sadistic! :D

I had a DeWalt jobsite table saw, early 2018, but sold it around 1 year later.

I built a simple desk with it, but I feel that the project would have been much easier with a "proper" table saw.|

Somethings to keep in mind with jobsite saws, IF you go that route:

For me they were:

* Noise of motor\table saw
* Lack of weight
* Fence was good, but not great
* "Poor" dust collection
* Inability to align the blade\fence, etc., "accurately" (more or less, to my liking - I'm pretty @nal when it comes to having things aligned perfectly)
* Small table as well as aluminum (this could be a plus\minus for some)
* I'm sure I am missing 1-2 more, but the above were main points for me

Overall, the jobsite was decent, but maybe I should have started off with a contractor table saw? Who knows.

Regardless.. I believe my SawStop (36") is great for me. I'd never go larger (they have a 52")

I am not saying you have to do a 3hp table saw, or a SawStop, because plenty of fine furniture has been made with a lot less tools & power.

Whatever you decide.. enjoy it and make plenty of sawdust!

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I have a Festool and would buy it again. When I purchased the saw (over ten years ago), I do not recall having a whole lot of other brands on the market, so you probably have some other good choices. That said, I have really enjoyed the Festool, it is an excellent tool.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Fe$tool here, too. Very good tool, coupled with dust extractor.

You should be looking at an MFT type set up with PARF dogs and a hinged track for crosscuts.

Check Peter Millards channel he is very knowledgeable about this. There are aftermarket hinges and fences you can adapt to any track.

You'll have some $ invested in a good setup, but its a lot cheaper than a table saw. With a router for dados, you can have a "table saw-less" shop. And seeing what they cost now, I think more and more people will be going this route.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Fe$tool here, too. Very good tool, coupled with dust extractor.

You should be looking at an MFT type set up with PARF dogs and a hinged track for crosscuts.

Check Peter Millards channel he is very knowledgeable about this. There are aftermarket hinges and fences you can adapt to any track.

You'll have some $ invested in a good setup, but its a lot cheaper than a table saw. With a router for dados, you can have a "table saw-less" shop. And seeing what they cost now, I think more and more people will be going this route.
I need to find a hinge adapter for my Makita.

Quickly found this: https://dashboardpws.com/products/guide-rail-brackets-set

"Almost" $300.. but a lot cheaper when compared to a $2,000+++ cabinet saw

JimD

Jim
Senior User
It simply is not true that the only way to use a track saw is to measure, make a mark, and cut to the mark. I had to make my own parallel jigs, for instance, (since I use a DeWalt) but they allow repeat cuts to the same dimension and have a scale and pointer built in so no marks necessary. I prefer a simple jig I call a track positioning jig that also has a scale and pointer. You just set a stop, put a dado on the end of the jig over the rib of the track and push the block up against the edge of the workpiece. I often put a mark, however just as a way to double check things.

I also bought an Incra t-scale to allow me to make very accurate marks with a .5mm pencil when that is what I want to do.

I built a 5 foot wide by 4 foot high by 2 foot deep cabinet for my son and daughter-in-law recently. I used my SawStop some too but mostly I made finish cuts with my track saw. I would never try to cut a five foot by 2 foot wide piece to 5 feet long on a table saw, for instance. Much, much easier with a track saw. On the other hand, ripping the pieces to the 2 foot width was easier on the table saw. I could have made all the cuts with the track saw but since I have both I use what I think fits the cut best. This cabinet runs wall to wall in their laundry and is wrapped with crown moulding at the top so it has to be pretty accurately made (I allowed 1/4 inch for variation in the walls which turned out to be enough by barely, the face frame covers any gap).

If I was making a bunch of cabinets I would set up the crosscut fence on my Paulk style workbench. It has a stop block on the fence so again no measuring necessary. It's a very easy and accurate way to make especially fairly wide crosscuts.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have both a track saw and a cabinet saw. I use the track for breaking plywood down mostly. If you have the room and set up a, table saw is great. However, track saws allow you to work in tighter, less optimum areas just slower and harder to make repetitive cuts. But, for breaking down large stock, they're awesome.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I guess the main point here is to start making stuff. As time goes on, you'll accumulate more tools. I started out with a saber saw, belt sander, drill, and a router, all from 1970s Sears. With a birch plywood straightedge and a few clamps, I built all sorts of stuff out of shelving pine. Thank goodness, most of it didn't survive over the decades.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS