Toys for Tots project

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
:eusa_danc We finished building 50 of these Tote Boxes recently. They are about 10" long X 6" wide X 6" high and are made from poplar except for the oak veneered plywood bottom. The decorative panels are pieces of bulletin board borders purchased from the school supply store and glued in place. Each one will be sent with a brand new box of 48 crayons in it. I want to thank bluthart for the very special pricing on the poplar and jemcguire for the donation of the plywood. I also want to thank the following for their time in helping to build these: adowden, peteb301, tenhote and my neighbor Dan. 50 more children will be smiling on Christmas morning!

edit. These are a part of the annual Triangle Woodworkers Association Toys for Tots build. We expect to present about 4000 wooden toys to the the Marine Corps Reserve this year!

BTW, the need for toys is greater than ever this year due to the economy and the storm. If you possibly can, contribute in some way to Toys for Tots. Your gift will put a smile on the face of a child and a smile in your heart. :)

bobby g

Attachments

• DSC00458.JPG
    DSC00458.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
  • DSC00457.JPG
    DSC00457.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:

hockey1

New User
Jesse
Kudos on the project. Words cannot express how those families that are without will cherish these. As a USMC veteran that has stood by the donation booths in the past this warms my heart to see how much people care. This is very inspiring to me and I hope that next year I can assemble such a team to help batch out some wonderful gifts as well.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just thinking out loud for next year. Maybe someone can host a toy building workshop and invite the NCWW crew. Lord knows we have the skills, knowledge, and heart to make this happen.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bob, Great job. It sure is nice to see someone so willing to give his time and skills to a great cause.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I second that suggestion! :)

Just thinking out loud for next year. Maybe someone can host a toy building workshop and invite the NCWW crew. Lord knows we have the skills, knowledge, and heart to make this happen.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member

Klingspor hosts a Triangle Woodworkers Association toy building day every year and I'm guessing that they would do it for our group too. For the TWA day, we do only the final assembly at the store.

If we really want to get into this, we could hold several regional events. I'll be glad to help in any way that I can.

bobby g

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
We are not applying a finish to the items.

bobby g

There is a lot more to the requlation than just finishes. If there is anything more in the product beside the wood, testing and certification is required. That means adhesives or attached items. Even certain species of woods can require certification. The club I used to belong to in New York was told that only unfinished solid wood items would be acceptable. Plywood is problematic because of its formaldehyde and adhesive. You might want to check with the recipient organization about this.

Here is the relevant info:

http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/smbus/manufacturers.html

MagGeorge

New User
George
Heartwarming :) You all did a noble job. May the Heavens bless you more.
It will surely mean the world to the kids :) :) :)

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Klingspor hosts a Triangle Woodworkers Association toy building day every year and I'm guessing that they would do it for our group too. For the TWA day, we do only the final assembly at the store.

If we really want to get into this, we could hold several regional events. I'll be glad to help in any way that I can.

bobby g
I'm furnishing about 700 +/- car bodies for that workshop. It's Dec 1st. If you have a flap sander, your sander and services are needed, as this is the slowest part of the operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS