Toy Box plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyB

New User
Tracy
My grandsons 1st birthday is coming up and my daughter wants me to build him a toy box. Since I have limited woodworking knowledge and skill, I was wondering if anyone has built one or knows of any online plans. I saw a picture of one in the Rockler catalog that I like but there are no plans for it. Its just a photo demonstrating "torsion hinges" that are on the box. Any help would be appreciated.
I hope everyone is doing well.

TracyB

DaveO

New User
DaveO
A toy box is nothing but a box with a lid, or not, or maybe drawers. It's a space to hold toys, you don't need a plan for that. How much toys will determine the volume, or look to the space that it will be stored in and make it to fit the area. Toy boxes can be as simple as butt jointed plywood to more complicated as frame and panel construction. Your finishing plans can play a big part in deciding on a construction method. A painted piece can hide a lot of sins and can be more simply constructed. Clear finished pieces might ask for more fancy joinery.
I think the most important thing in the design of a toy box with a lid would be soft closing hinges so no little one gets banged on the head. It is also smart to include air holes just in case a little one gets in there playing hide-and-seek.
While not exactly toy "boxes" per say here are a few things that I have made that will fit the bill -

Dave_003.jpg

Toy drawers/window seat

Toy_boxes_003.jpg

Moo toy box in heavy use.

Toy_boxes_001.jpg

Mobile home toy box...reaching maximum occupancy

Blanket_Chest_WIP_Pickles_017.jpg

Too tall to be a kids toy box, but shrunk down it could be very useful.
Steve Diener made a toy box for his daughter and used some awesome hinges. They might be the ones on Rockler. They were very unobtrusive but held tight in any position. Very safe, and that is the most important part of a toy box...
HTH,
Dave:)

TracyB

New User
Tracy
Thanks for the input DaveO. Very impressive looking projects. I was thinking along the lines of frame and flat panel on the front and sides. I am not sure how to join the front with the sides. the only joinery methods I have used are pocket holes and biscuits. I don't want pocket holes showing on the inside. I guess I could butt joint the front to the sides with biscuits, kinda like putting a face frame on a cabinet. If I make the stiles that join the front 3/4" narrower than the other stile, it should look more symmetrical. Does that make any sense at all??

Yeah those hinges are from Rockler. When I first saw the price, I thought there is no way I'm paying 60 bucks for hinges. But then I thought that the first time that precious little boy mashed his fingers in something I built for him, I would have been glad to have paid the extra money.

I haven't been on here in quite some time. My life has been pretty crazy lately. Between my daughter making me a paw-paw, and me getting married last November. Not to mention all the other small emergency's I've had going on, I haven't had much spare time to get on here. I hope everyone is well, looks like there maybe a few new members also.

Well, gotta go, looks like the roof guy is pulling up to give me as estimate on replacing my shingles that the wind storm took off.

Thanks again,

TracyB

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Just wanted to echo DAVEO's input. I've made 3 toy boxes in the past 2 years for grand kids. Like he said, the most important aspect is the safety of the child. I use piano hinges, but add some type of soft close support that keeps the lid from falling too fast. I've been satisfied with the ones I get from Woodworkers Supply in Graham. The second safety feature I incorporate is the air holes in case they get trapped in the box. On the last one, which is in the finish room right now, I incorporated the air holes into the handles.

As for connecting the frame & panel sides to the front and back, I used what is sometimes called a "drawer lock" joint. It is a good, tight joint with plenty of glue surface, that looks good and doesn't stand out too much.

richlife

New User
Rich
Just wanted to echo DAVEO's input. I've made 3 toy boxes in the past 2 years for grand kids. Like he said, the most important aspect is the safety of the child. I use piano hinges, but add some type of soft close support that keeps the lid from falling too fast. I've been satisfied with the ones I get from Woodworkers Supply in Graham. The second safety feature I incorporate is the air holes in case they get trapped in the box. On the last one, which is in the finish room right now, I incorporated the air holes into the handles.

As for connecting the frame & panel sides to the front and back, I used what is sometimes called a "drawer lock" joint. It is a good, tight joint with plenty of glue surface, that looks good and doesn't stand out too much.

A toy box (and think of the future -- it can become a blanket chest or entry hall sit-on storage) for your grandson(s) is one of the most satisfying projects you will ever do! I never felt so successful as when my grandsons cleared all the toys out of the toy box I made them, climbed in and closed the lid on themselves -- giggling continuously! That chest is shown here about halfway down the page: http://www.beauhavenwoodworking.com/furnishings.htm . All the box joints were made with mortise and tenon (assembly fun!). The chest bottom actually sits inside on top of the frame. The top frame parts are mortise and tenon with biscuits to help hold the back piece in line during gluing -- the top panel is doubled 1/4" plywood inset into the frame with supports underneath for sitting strength. I used a piano hinge with the soft close supports from WWSupply that Bill referenced. I experimented with urethane glue on this, but have since gone back to almost exclusive use of Titebond which I would recommend instead.

Fine Woodworking has had a number of articles with plans over the years. You can get a free two-week trial to find them at finewoodworking.com. Try Issue 161, page 46 and Issue 203, p. 54. The latter will be my next one (two grandsons, remember?).

And, btw, it's not just fingers those safety hinges or soft close supports protect. Kids have lost their lives due to heavy lids falling on heads and necks. No matter what the cost, they are worth it. Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors