Toxic Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

We have a similar table in our Link Library under the Woodworking Reference Category. There are some nasty woods out there that really require us to take appropriate precautions when we use them. Thanks for posting this and if you want, add it to the Link Library in the Woodworking Reference Category.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Black Walnut may only be 2 plus marks on the chart but for me it's like 10. It's about the only wood I ran across that just plain messes me up, it's some Nasty Nasty stuff... :tongue2:

decibel

New User
Patrick
So for these woods (Black Walnut in particular so Jeff feel free to chime in) Are the toxic properties minimized once a finish is applied. I see walnut says the dust and the wood. Curious if that means I shouldn't use walnut for certain types of furniture?:dontknow:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Patrick, I am no doctor but I believe the issues occur only when working with these woods. Once the item is completed and finished it should be safe. Of course eveyone reacts differently.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
In reference to Walnut, I seem to recall a post some time back about Walnut shavings being very toxic when used as stall litter for horses. I think anyone that's doing WWing on any regular basis should use some type of respiration protection - even if it's just a fan to blow the stuff outa your face. 'Course, neander tools don't count ('less it's a cabinet scraper)........

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
Last weekend I discovered that Lacewood is nasty, like poison ivy anywhere my skin collected sawdust. I've been scratching and laying down benadryl and cortisone for the last 5 days. I also discovered that I should have washed my hands both before and after using the bathroom. Thank goodness I was wearing a respirator!

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Thanks for posting this - BW and ERC really have done a job on me - I have been working with some BW lately and I have been fighting sinus infection ever since - I do wear a dust mask but it still gets to me:confused_

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
According to MSDS

[SIZE=+1]A Sensitizer is a chemical which may lead to the development of allergic reactions after repeated exposure.

http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/glossary/sensitizer.html

I really think that's what happened to me, I can recall cutting walnut logs all day long. Then the last few times, it just tore me up, I have not cut any since. I don't have anything against walnut but it has something against me :gar-La;

[/SIZE]

02blues

New User
john
Interesting. Although I am a physician this is not my specialty.There is an article online on e medicine which describes ACD Allergic Contact Dermatitis
in woodworkers in contact with exotic tropical woods. It did not expand.
I would avoid a wood that caused me to react. Would be a good idea to contact a dermatologist to discuss. Allergic reaction can be very dangerous.

If I find any article on nasopharyngeal cancer I will forward the info. Seems rare but a scary thought to those of us exposed to wood dust.

02blues.

PS as Jeffs last post stated you can become sensitized after a first exposure and develop a reaction with subsequent exposure.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Interesting. Although I am a physician this is not my specialty.There is an article online on e medicine which describes ACD Allergic Contact Dermatitis
in woodworkers in contact with exotic tropical woods. It did not expand.
I would avoid a wood that caused me to react. Would be a good idea to contact a dermatologist to discuss. Allergic reaction can be very dangerous.

If I find any article on nasopharyngeal cancer I will forward the info. Seems rare but a scary thought to those of us exposed to wood dust.

02blues.

PS as Jeffs last post stated you can become sensitized after a first exposure and develop a reaction with subsequent exposure.

"I would avoid a wood that caused me to react" That's good sound advise - I was thinking I might saw up another batch of Walnut because it's been quite a while since I last sawed any just to see what happens but frankly I think I'll leave that to folks that are non-reactive instead...

Dragon

New User
David
One thing that prompted me to look into this was that I noted that everytime I sanded some walnut, I seem to cough like mad and hurt like heck for a few days afterwards. Now, I've gone to wearing a dust mask/surgical mask but WILL be investing in a respirator soon. No sense in aggravating my lungs any more than they already are.

M

McRabbet

I have recommended one of these several times here -- I use one and they are excellent for both particulates and organic vapors with interchangable cartridges. I store my spare cartridges in ziplock bags...
Just $10.95 in three sizes...
$5.95/pair $8.95/pair

Page 452 of the Grizzly Catalog...

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
My issue with many masks is they fog up my glasses. Rob have you used this one with eye glasses?

02blues

New User
john
there is also an article in Fine Woodworking on line that is called
"When wood fights back". I am unable to open it but it sounds like it covers this topic. Jon Arno # 114.

fergy

New User
Fergy
How did you ever manage to use the neti pot the first time? I imagine it a lot like waterboarding, and I can never force myself to do it. I've had enough water up in my sinuses from diving that it freaks me out to think of doing it purposefully.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
This is very interesting. I just got a claro walnut bowl blank and was planning on turning it this week. I might have to borrow a resperator from work. We use 3M resperators with the P-100 (?) cartridges to protect us from mold and asbestos. I'm sure it would work for turning although I really don't want to wear one. :BangHead:

Scott, put on your resperator without the cartridges and place each hand over the "holes". Inhale and if you feel any air coming in from the seam, you need to tighten it. HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors