Tour D'Coop

Status
Not open for further replies.

manfre

New User
Manfre
This coming Saturday (5/18) from 10-4 is the Tour D'Coop (link) and the coop I built is coop #15 on this year's tour.

Started in 2005 as a way for a few neighbors to show off their hens and coops, the Henside the Beltline Tour D'Coop has grown to a one-day garden tour that encompasses 20 coops and thousands of visitors. The event raises non-perishable food and money for Urban Ministries, a Raleigh-based non-profit that provides essential services to close to 20,000 Triangle residents each year. Coop owners and the tour organizers volunteer their time to promote back yard poultry and urban farming.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
We have eight chickens plus Bob, the rooster. Our coop and enclosure is similar to yours, but we let the chickens out in the yard during the day. No problems with hawks or other predators. One thing I do is to put down mulch in the enclosure so the chickens have something to peck through and it also provides a soil amendment to the garden after the chickens have modified it.

Roy G

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
While others may be interested in chickens, I'm not one. It probably goes back to my teen years when a crew of eight of us would go into a chicken house with twenty thousand birds, and by morning have vaccinated and debeaked every bird. By morning each of us had handled ten thousand birds. To this day, anytime I smell hair burning, I can vividly smell the hot blade of the debeaker. No romance lost for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS