Total Novice

MGT

Mike
Senior User
Anyone who would like to give me advice: 1) the local stores seem to be Woodcraft and Klingspor. Is there anything to recommend one over the other, and is one particular franchise location better than the others? 2) Where do you buy lumber for your projects? Do you buy 'green' wood and allow it to dry in your shop?
Jim - I will be new to the area soon and have similar questions. I recently sent Klingspor a message about availability of Sawstop saws and they not only responded within hours, but said they have saws on hand. My follow on comment was also replied to very quickly. I will definitely give Klingspor a chance at my business when when I get to NC. I am so used to poor service that Klingspor has definitely piqued my interest.

Mike

AnotherJim

Jim
Corporate Member
Jim - I will be new to the area soon and have similar questions. I recently sent Klingspor a message about availability of Sawstop saws and they not only responded within hours, but said they have saws on hand. My follow on comment was also replied to very quickly. I will definitely give Klingspor a chance at my business when when I get to NC. I am so used to poor service that Klingspor has definitely piqued my interest.

Mike
I visited Woodcraft and Klingspor over the weekend. Both were great. The Klingspor guy (among 4 or 5 in the store) was well-informed and congenial. He explained the Klingspor discount to me -- doesn't include anything with a plug -- and answered questions. The Woodcraft guy (among 4 or 5) was chatty, and was old enough to know the ins and outs of the evolution of the various tool and machine manufacturers. They're within 5 miles of one another, so both are about an hour drive from me.

AnotherJim

Jim
Corporate Member
After all the input here and on another forum, I discarded the plans to buy a SS Contractor saw, in favor of a PCS. With a 3 HP motor, no less. And I took away the inclusion of a router table on the saw top. Took my 'build' into the Klingspor shop in Cary, showed it to the guy, and they had all the parts in stock. Bought it, picked it up yesterday, and it's sitting spread around the garage. Now I've got to find a local electrician to put in a 220V feed for it. I'll post my progress. Thanks everyone for your 2 cents' worth.

Rob01

New User
Robert
I'm a member of ncwoodworker but live in SC, just on the border of NC/SC. Can I qualify for the Klingspor discount if I don't live in NC?

AnotherJim

Jim
Corporate Member
This is an older post and I don't know if anyone else will reply. I don't know the answer. I was eligible for the discount just by dint of being on the membership list of NCW for a certain period. If that's the only criterium, I think you're good. Also, the discount seems to be limited to things that are not durable (like sandpaper), and does not apply to things that ARE durable (like table saws).

Rob01

New User
Robert
Thanks for the reply. Sandpaper is what I was about to buy from Klingspor and searched for a discount code on google which led me here. I was already a member but had took no further steps to get "discount qualified" until yesterday. Hopefully they will let me in, I can be in NC in 15 minutes.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
If I read it right the discount is available on items that don't have plugs. I assume they mean electrical ones.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Boomvader There a few steps to go through before you become eligible for the discount: You have to opt-in (found under "Preferences" in your account settings), create a thread in the "Who We Are" section, add your full name and address to your "Account Details," and maintain User status by regularly logging into the site.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Welcome to the sawdust pile Jim. great group here and I will throw in another plug for Klingspors!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS