Torch wood "staining"

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hello all,
Do any of you out there have any experience torching wood as part of a finishing process? I am going to try it and looking for recommendations re torch recommendation.
Thanks, as always,
Matt

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
I use a BernzOmatic torch with flame spreader tip attachment. So far I've only used it on white pine. It gives a nice brown with grain highlighted. Keep the torch moving and go over areas to even out the color.
Be sure to remove all the ashes with a brush.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
The best thing I have seen used was an old fashioned blow torch, because it gave off a larger diameter heat plume.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Someone on another forum used a torch from HF on a bed that he made:

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
I've used just a plain Benzomatic torch. Just keep it moving and you can determine the degree of "toast" you want. Different woods will respond differently, so practice on a piece of scrap to see what you are going to get first. My experience (limited) shows the best results with pine, and oak which produce larger contrast.

Southern_Canuk

New User
James
Propane Torch like Mdbuntyn posted don't mess with the little Benzomatic torches unless the project is small. I've had to do Shou sugi ban on a few projects along with the current one I am building. Be careful not to over torch since it will warp your piece of course, if you do get a little warp burn the underside to try to lessen it and let it sit over night. I would suggest testing the wood for moisture levels before starting.
For finishing the piece I usually take a wire brush and scrap out the grains to make more of a contrast.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS