Top wheel on bandsaw loose

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsdoby

New User
Gary
I recently decided to put tune up my bandsaw that I have not used in a couple of years. It is an old craftsman. When putting on the new blade I noticed the top wheel(tire?) is loose and whenever I started to tighten the blade it would begin to tilt. I would hand turn to see if the blade was aligned and it would run off the front of the tire. I could not find any way to tighten this. Any comments or help would be appreciated. I may have left the old blade on with some tension

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
If the bearings are good, replace the tires. If the bearings aren't good replace the bearings and the tires.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
I've learned alot from having removed the wheel from my bandsaw. The top wheel on mine is supposed to tilt slightly to allow me to tune how the blade tracks. There is a plate the wheel shaft is seated in and there is a screw that plate presses against. When the blade is tensioned I adjust that screw that tilts the shaft / wheel.

I don't know if your bandsaw adjusts tracking the same way but it may need to be tightened / loosened to reduce the tilt.

Last edited:

gsdoby

New User
Gary
DSC_0079 [1600x1200].JPGThis is a picture of my bandsaw if tha will help with questions

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Gary,

Is there a knob to adjust the tracking on the back of the saw? Or maybe a second smaller knob on top?

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Gary, on the back of the upper wheel house should be a knob that is called the 'Tilt knob'.

Band Saw Tilt Know.jpg

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Gary,
The upper wheel is loose because the bearing shaft is mounted to a pivot assembly which allows the wheel to be adjusted for tracking. Install the blade, adjust the tension with the tension adjustment knob on top of the saw. The wheel is now under tension. There is a self locking slotted adjustment screw that goes through the center of the bearing shaft (visible in both of your photos). Turning this screw clockwise will tilt the top of the wheel away from you. Unless the adjustment is way off, the screw doesn't require much movement. Continue to turn the wheels by hand and adjust until the blade rides in the center of the tires.

gsdoby

New User
Gary
Thanks for the input. I have been sidetracked the last couple of days on other things. Will check later to see how things go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS