Tooling Steel on Drill Bits and Chisels

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I know this is not a wood posting, but I thought I would post something on metals. Specifically, tool steels. This will get a bit “in the weeds” but hopefully this will help some who never give tool steel much thought a new perspective on steel. In the last 20 years of my career, I do a fair amount of steel work, modifications of machines and creating jigs to assist installers in making install process more efficient. This required me to understand a lot more about steel than I ever planned on in my life.
Apologies to those who already know most of this. Please understand I will make some very basic broad comments for this conversation, let’s not get too myopic….

Basics on iron vs. steel:
Iron is an element (#26) vs steel which is an alloy (usually iron and carbon)
Other materials are mixed with iron and carbon to make a variety of harder steels.
Chromium, Cobalt, Manganese, Vanadium, Tungsten, Carbide plus a bunch of other minerals and metals are used to make steel stronger for tooling.

Enough of the pre-ramble --- Traditionally, hand tool steel for carpentry typically were a 3 types A, O, and W. Each letter defined how the metal was strengthened. Hardening steel is done by heating and cooling in a certain way to cause the molecules to align tighter together to make the metal more dense, ergo stronger.
This process is known as quenching and tempering. The key difference between quenching and tempering is that the quenching is rapid cooling of the steel piece, whereas tempering is heat-treating a steel piece and letting it air cool slowly at a prescribed rate. Quenching and Tempering are important processes that are used to strengthen and harden steel.

A = Air quenched --- O = Oil quenched --- W = Water quenched

Early 19th century tools mostly used water quenched steel. It was easily available, easy to sharpen, sharpened nicely, but did not hold and edge as long as other later steels.
Today, we have so many types of steels and alloys it is confusing.

The two tools I will focus on are high speed Drill bits and Chisels.

Drill bits ……*sigh* so many to choose from, so many brands. The most common ones we see are:
High speed steel (silvery), Black oxide (well black), Cobalt (kinda brassy goldish), Titanium nitride coated (brassy colored) and Carbide.
Titanium Nitride (TN) coating are those brass colored drill bits we all see everywhere. The TN coating lowers the friction which in turn, makes the drill bit perform better. The stuff does work, BUT, here is the issue – the coating is applied to a high speed steel bit and if the quality of that steel is suspect, then once the coating begins to wear down the bit really begins to fail. For a woodworker most will not notice since wood is so much softer than steel, and the TN coating helps in lowering the heat up and burning of the hole being cut. When cutting steel though you will notice it quickly. Most the bits coming from China are mostly likely getting their drill stock all from the same manufacturer. This probably explains why we periodically get bad batches of drill bits across the brand names from time to time (Think Dewalt, Milwaukee, Bosch…etc.).

Anyway, what causes bad steel batching ? most common is poor Q.C. when they are alloying the steel or more common, incomplete or poor tempering process. You see, when tempering steel, you need to heat up and then cool down, but once it is cool typically there can remain imbalanced tension within the steel. This can cause the steel to get micro fracturing and or cause the steel to have inconstant tempering though the metal. It also can cause the metal to twist. To prevent this, usually you need to heat up a second or third time at lower temperatures to ease out that tension. Time is money so many makers do a short cut version of this.

Cobalt steel typically has Cobalt alloyed into the steel with a variety of other mineral and metal recipes.

You might see it called M42, M2 M36 or maybe 8% or 6%. These bits are better and harder and can drill through High Speed Steel if done correctly.

Carbide bits are made from Carbide, tungsten and nitrides typically. These bits are Brittle, but super hard and are use for going though tooling steel or other metals that are hard. Rarely used by woodworkers. Carbide tipped bits are the ones we use for drilling through stone or concrete. The carbide is welded to a HSS shank so only the tip is Carbide.
Diamond coated bits are used for glass and or ceramic, or precious stones.

EACH material has a drill cutting speed that is optimum. Basically, the harder the material the slower the rotation of the bit. So, Stainless steel (no lubricant added) is usually 50-500 rpm range, HS steel is usually 60-850 range (use lubricant). But, most of us just cut regular rolled 40-60,000 psi steel (A-36, a572). That said, most people run the bit way to fast which just burns up the bit and causes it to fail. This metal is usually cut 120-1200 range. All this is highly dependent on feed rate and metal thickness, or hole size. These numbers are for starting reference only. I recommend reading up on drilling speeds if you do a lot of steel drilling. Most HS bits are set at 118° or 131°. Both these can be very aggressive in wood so be careful when using these. A way to keep your Forstner bits lasting longer is if you have to drill though thick material, you can cut the 1st ½ inch with the Forstner then switch to a HS bit equal size, drill through until you are close to the other side then switch back to the Forstner. Just for reference a Black Oxide bit (and HS steel) point of heat failure (when the temper becomes compromised) is around 975F whereas, Cobalt is roughly 2850F. The Titaniuim Nitride coating helps keep the heat load down..

Enough on drill bits. Chisel steel, it is way easier to discuss and a shorter reference.
Basically, the most common metals we see with chisels are one of the following types.

O1 & A2 – Many brands use these such a Lie-Nielsen and Lee Valley.

Chromium Vanadium (CV) – To be found in brands like Irwin, Some German Chisels brands and others.

Chromium Manganese (CM)- Narex and some Japanese chisels.

PM V11, D2 – Special steel. These hold a better edge longer but can be tricky to sharpen.

All of these steels have their pros and cons. A2 and PM-V11′s tends to be better at edge retention. O1, CV and CM seem to be easier to sharpen than A2 or PM-V11. This is pretty subjective though. To me, getting the back flat is the hardest part of sharpening regimes. Once sharpened correctly, keeping the edge is easy to do. This is why I keep “butcher chisels” in my tool box. Anytime I might be near metal or other hard surfaces that could damage a chisel edge I use those. I machine sharpen those.

Got pretty long winded there, one final thought though:

In my opinion, most Chinese HS steel is too inconsistent in its to be used for accurate machining or seriously considered for real high end tools.. Not really a woodworker’s problem, but whenever possible, get North American, Japanese or European steel. A Shout out to Czech, Portugal and Poland there are some pretty nice tooling from those countries that is decent quality being made.

I hope this help some gain a better insight to steel and the types we use in woodworking.

Attachments

• bits.jpg
    bits.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 115
Last edited:

wooduser

New User
Lecil
This is great info for those of us who wants more knowledge about craft and or hobby. Please don’t feel bad about putting it on the forum. I’ve been involved in both wood and steel materials since I was a teenager. The constant in this long journey is change. As a youngster, the USA was king and all the quality came from here. Now the world is the stage and we need to know who does what and what their capabilities and their qualities are.
I want to thank you for putting this together. I wish there was an easy way to make a PDF or to print so it can be retrieved.

Lecil

• Thanks
Reactions: Oka

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
This is great info for those of us who wants more knowledge about craft and or hobby. Please don’t feel bad about putting it on the forum. I’ve been involved in both wood and steel materials since I was a teenager. The constant in this long journey is change. As a youngster, the USA was king and all the quality came from here. Now the world is the stage and we need to know who does what and what their capabilities and their qualities are.
I want to thank you for putting this together. I wish there was an easy way to make a PDF or to print so it can be retrieved.

Lecil
Copy, go to your email. Start a new email to yourself, tool steel subject. Paste the body and send. Print your email

wooduser

New User
Lecil
Thanks Berta. This is what I’ve been doing. It’s just a little tedious and I thought there might be an easier way.

Lecil

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
Slightly off topic but not much. My father made a couple of knives one of which traveled with his brother during WWII. He made them from old files which I think are pretty brittle. He was a machinist so maybe he treated them somehow so not so brittle. Anyway to tell short of smacking them with a hammer? He has been gone for about 40 years and I know he worked in a foundry before I was born.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Slightly off topic but not much. My father made a couple of knives one of which traveled with his brother during WWII. He made them from old files which I think are pretty brittle. He was a machinist so maybe he treated them somehow so not so brittle. Anyway to tell short of smacking them with a hammer? He has been gone for about 40 years and I know he worked in a foundry before I was born.
We watch Mountain Men. The guy from NC made a knife from a file by heating it and Quenched it in oil.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Moral of the story, dont buy cheap tools. I learned a long time ago, If I ask myself how bad could it be?, dont buy them!

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
To make iron or steel stronger hitting it aligns the molecules in a more dense way Forging = to hit

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
A good key point in Oka's info is the one on drill speed. Slower speed and good lube can really extend the life of a bit.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
A good key point in Oka's info is the one on drill speed. Slower speed and good lube can really extend the life of a bit.
Thanks Oka - GREAT post!
Someone said (and likely someone here will help me by remembering who)
"A Great woodworker understands metalworking."
While this is not intuitive, the simple fact is that we have blades to sharpen, metal fixtures and fasteners, and metal tools, many of which require sharpening. If you understand the metal, you have a better chance sharpening it correctly or applying the tool in a better manner to the task at hand...

A corollary to Oka's article (YES this need to be an article is drill speed...
For example the recommendation for a 1/4 brad point drill in softwood (pine) is 1800 RPM - many cordless drills (using stats for a Dewalt) max out at 1500 RPM, so if the drill bit is smaller (1/16 for example) the drill cannot effectively spin it as fast as it should (3000 RPM)!

The drill will still work, but what is happening is that it is being subjected to more abrasion than cutting, especially if it is dull. (sharp fixes nearly everything)

If you look at a brad point bit versus a twist drill, you will see the effective cutting angle and how different they are, hence the reason for the reduced or increased RPM or feed rate.

Here is a good layman's article that shows the different drill types and finishes and backs-up Oka's point about drill bit speed. 12 Tips for Drilling Holes in Metal

I will throw in my 2 cents and simply say, know your material and drill bit diameter and select the proper speed for the tool you are using and the material you are cutting.

Here are links to drill bit style and speed recommendations:

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
But if the bit is dull you just push harder, right? :p
YUP!
29 bits in an index and only 27 of them are dull... (I never use the 23/64 nor the 19/64)
Oh, and yes, the drill doctor is safely tucked away on the shelf! :cool:

• Haha

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors