tool rest height

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
The lathe I just picked up didn't come with a tool rest. I am going to keep my eyes open for one, but in the mean time I will just make one. For turning small spindle work, I am thinking of a fixed height bar ever so slightly below center line (a tiny bit more than half the thickness of my skew, which is pretty much the only tool I will be using, so that I never have to tilt the tool down). Does that seem right? I used to turn a few years ago, but I wasn't that good at it and didn't get well schooled...

I don't want to repeat this trick...

Jan01001.jpg

:eek::elvis::eek:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
That was a few years ago before I got rid of the lousy lathe and tools I had at the time. It wasn't all bad:

gob1.jpg

That soft mahogany fooled me into thinking I knew what I was doing. The pear (in the previous picture) wasn't so accomodating...

Anyway, tool rest height comments?

toolman

Administrator
Chad
I am thinking of a fixed height bar ever so slightly below center line (a tiny bit more than half the thickness of my skew, which is pretty much the only tool I will be using, so that I never have to tilt the tool down). Does that seem right?

I don't want to repeat this trick...

Jan01001.jpg

:eek::elvis::eek:

WOW our you ok? :eusa_naug Your height is about right, Not to low. :icon_sunn

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
That height would be fine for some stuff but adjustability is much better. different tools require different positions. :gar-Bi for hollowing a bowl I set the rest lower and for roughing a large spindle or outside of a bowl I set it higher. otherwise the bevel wont be rideing. thicker scrapers will need to be lower and larger gouges will need to be lower too. I have a home made rest that came with an old delta that Im not useing. I also have a short rest that fits it. I cut the larger rest up to make somethig else. you are welcome to them if you like. the lathe they were made for is an old delta with an 11 or 12" swing if I recall. PM me if you want em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors